Tuesday, July 24, 2007

That's not technically an omelette.

Just now I got a little motion sickness from scrolling and scanning webpages, and yesterday I got a little motion sickness from walking around quickly while also scanning shelves and rounders at Target and Goodwill. This does not bode well for my 8 hour flight, and also suggests that I am dehydrated or missing some essential vitamin, OR that I have been looking at too many things. I am definitely doing too many things. In the past two days I have had to discard many possible to-dos because there simply hasn't been time to do everything. I have not packed even one article. I don't actually know which bags I'm taking. I also still don't know what I'm wearing to the wedding.

So in the meantime here are a few more items for my midwestern magical realism novel:
1. Intrigued by the puffy sleeves on an off-white sweater at a thrift store, I check the tag AND IT ACTUALLY SAYS MY NAME ON IT. If you know my real name, which is unusual, you can appreciate how weird this is. Who knew I was already a brand? In the 80s, anyway. (I didn't buy it; it's 100 degrees today and the air is like paste. I can't believe I even touched angora.)
2. A squirrel with a hairless neck area runs out in front of my car (and crosses the street safely). Moments later, a small hawk flies across the street. It's weird, I think, to see hawks in neighborhoods.

I should've been writing things down. These days have been bursting with coincidence. I stopped by my parents' this evening to say goodbye--they'll be in MT when I return, sniff--and my mother gave me a speedo swimsuit, a vintage dress, a pair of ballet slippers, a wool felt Hanna Andersson sweater coat, and a jar of blueberry jam. You organize those items into a coherent narrative, and I will let you write my novel.

4 comments:

  1. That is a nice haul from your mom.

    Looking forward to UK posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're overseas, but I just wanted to make sure you and your loved ones are safe and sound . . .Sending my strongest healing thoughts to MN.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too. Hoping for the best for you & yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, that's why I'm here too. I was so glad that you were overseas, and I hope your loved ones are safe.

    ReplyDelete