Monday, September 24, 2007

I wanna learn how to fly (high).

I was sitting around watching TV for only part of the day yesterday, but in that time I managed to have several remote encounters with people I know. Granted, most of them were because of a show about our chamber orchestra's tour earlier this year, but still I was like Hey I worked with that guy! And that one! The best, though, was watching the new Ken Burns joint and hearing my friend's song performed by Norah Jones as part of the soundtrack. I didn't know the song was going to be featured, and I surely didn't know Norah Jones was going to sing it. And then I emailed my friend to say HOLY CRAP and he writes back and says he's getting married. So that was all nice and good.

I really like enjoying the recognition that other people are getting. It makes me feel good. When I was younger and more heavily into the opera world (or whatever you want to call it), large helpings of sour grapes were served up, passed around, and relished for all of their empty calories, and just about everyone had bitter juice dripping down his or her chin. It's still irritating when assholes are getting work and deserving and talented people are not, but that is always going to be true and there is nothing I can do about it. So it is very lovely to feel uncomplicated pride about what friends are doing.

Yesterday I had my mind blown by a piece of a fresco from Pompeii at the art institute. You know how you know that things are old and have meant many things to many people over the centuries, and then sometimes you really know this and it is amazing? That's what happened. A thing that was central to a family's daily life wound up in a place that none of them could ever have imagined after a catastrophic demise they never deserved (probably). Shortly after the fresco, we saw a 7000 year old vessel and I truly freaked out.

I don't understand how anyone can think that art is a luxury when it has been so basic to human existence for thousands of years.

Fall has officially been marked on the calendar, but we're having another weird day of warm, heavy weather and I'm wearing the last of the summer's Hawaiian sundresses. I hope to be blogging at you in boots next time.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your friend who wrote American Anthem. I wonder what will happen to him now, with this kind of exposure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel you on the freaking out.

    Sometimes when my mentee and I are at an art museum, I'll say, "Kiki, check this out. It's 2,000 years old. Think about that a minute." And she nods fairly appreciatively. Once we were at the history museum looking at a World War II exhibit of the 10th Mtn. Division (soldiers on skis). I said, "Wow, look at those boots. Those are the very boots than a World War II soldier wore 65 years ago." She made a face and said "Nasty." Which totally cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete