Thursday, September 27, 2007

Just a soul whose intentions are good.

Here's a dumb thing about me: I love bike riding and I never do it. I maintain that bike commuting is not a viable option for me because I am so gotdamn sweaty, but joyriding certainly is a viable option, especially with all the trails and bike paths in this here city. So today on my self-imposed lunch break, I decided to figure out how to ride down into Fort Snelling State Park and then do it. It was either that or go running. I should probably say "running" instead of running, but let's just establish right now that I mean a slow jog.

Anyway, I rode. It was delightful. The weather is perfect perfect today. 65 and sunny with the faint scent of crisping leaves in the air. I rode down into the park, under the flight path, onto land that Zebulon Pike secured by trading about $200 worth of gifts and booze to the Dakota who were living there. I hadn't been there in years, which is just plain stupid. The Brit and I have had a lot of discussions lately about the perks of living here and how infrequently we help ourselves to those perks and how much better we would feel if we did. Sitting around is very very easy for me to do. I would like to do it less. In the last 24 days I have only missed 3 days of exercise, but I haven't done as many culturally invigorating things as I might have. Getting close to the Mississippi is a start.

Under the bridge.
ALSO. This will be of little interest to anyone except Susan Cooper fans, but did you know that the "Dark is Rising" books are coming out as a movie like, next week? With Ian McShane as Merriman Lyon? which makes no sense but on the other hand I love Ian McShane, and same goes for Frances Conroy playing what looks like an amalgamation of two characters. I had no idea about this. I guess YA fantasy is trendy right now, duh.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, I hadn't heard about the Dark is Rising movie. I would be excited except that I fear that the fact I haven't heard of it means it's going to be awful, which would be a shame. Thanks for the heads up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share your fear, Harriet--I hadn't heard about this until I saw the preview yesterday. The movie's called "The Seeker" and it took me a few seconds to figure out what it was. Then I started squawking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the Dark comes rising, six shall turn it back... Ah, is it going to be any good? I know you can't answer that, but now I'm all gloomy about it. Kind of. I have to go see it, no matter what, because I am all about the regressive geekdom. Plus, reading those books is the only education I've ever had on Welsh pronunciation, so I feel like it's time to give something back. You see where I'm coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Violet, yes! These books are most definitely the only reason I know anything about Welsh pronunciation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you on the sweat factor of bike commuting, but I just bring a change of clothes in a pannier bag (vs. a messenger bag) & keep baby wipes at my desk at work. And a small blow dryer for really bad days. I also keep a few extra do-dads at work like deodorant and extra hair goop in case I feel like I roll in off the sweat hog from hell & need to resemble a human. Summer is my least favorite commuting season for the sweats. Fall is my favorite & I usually stop commuting around December although my husband is a year round cyclist & keeps trying to talk me into winter biking.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You know, maybe if I just went one place every day, I could hack it--there is actually a locker room/shower at one of my jobs. But I have so many days where I have to be in two or three different places and I just don't have time to get everywhere AND recover. This is a problem with freelancing outside of the home. But I definitely would like to be riding at least part of the time.

    ReplyDelete