Wednesday, September 19, 2007

More poetry corner.

Did you know that my boyfriend is a poet? I did, but he doesn't write as often as he might because he is stuck writing other stuff for a living. He read me this the other day, and after I got weep-eyed and launched myself at him on the couch, I immediately decided that he should have some real estate on my blog if he would consent to being published on the internets. I proposed this and he said yes like "wow really?", like it wasn't a total no-brainer on my part. So here is the first installment of what I hope will be a continuing series for the rest of my life, the Brit's Poetry Corner. Best read aloud, I think. Like most poetry.

The Elm Out Front
Sep.10th, 2007

As with all
The trunk emerges, diverges, divides

Into random paths of permanence
Thicker with time

And solid with slow life
That’s soft by the rain

Hardened invisibly, days outside
Our calendar’s material core

Roots rendering ring, each equinox
Leaves

Wind worn, bark borne up in rustles
By fickle quips of weather, cold crisping quickly

The wry green smile swayed smooth in sun
With no matter, beyond metal

Or an orange ring around one morning
Massive in ailing

Until then
It curls boughs around the air

Learning where it is
And how to be there

2 comments:

  1. Excellent poem! "Random paths of permanence" ... love that cadence. Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did read it aloud! Very lovely- could visualize the elm.

    ReplyDelete