Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Take me to heart, I promise you a miracle.

One reason I love this time of year is because Value Village conglomerates all of the crazy clothes I would be interested in buying in their Halloween BOOOOOtique. BOOOOOOOOOOOOtique, get it? I passed such a splendid 45 minutes today rifling through the Halloween racks and I came out with 12 vintage dresses and a skirt and a blazer and the secretary blouse of life and death for $40. The blouse is for me. The rest is for you (probably). I actually had to leave some things there. And I found one of my thrifting holy grails, an Alfred Shaheen hostess dress. Huzzah!

I don't think I'm dressing up for Halloween, or maybe I am, I don't know. When I got a last-minute party invitation on Saturday I busted out this glamorous flapper dress I've been hauling around for years, and discovered that it had lost its fit on me. (This is a famous phrase in my family, coined by my brother in highschool: "these pants have lost their fit on me." A girl would never say that, but she should.) The fit of this dress was always marginal anyway, but I was in no mood to suck in my gut, so I bagged the flapper idea and put on a sequined sweater dress with shoulderpads and went as an extra on Dynasty. If you haven't lately looked at stills from Dynasty and need a googlesearch idea, I totally recommend it.

I also recommend youtubing Quarterflash. Nick (fka "El Presidente") emailed me recently to suggest that such strong-voiced 80s ladies reminded him of me. That was weird (funny, flattering maybe), but the weirder thing turned out to be that I'd had a Quarterflash song in my head for days (months even) already without knowing it. I was only 7 when "Harden My Heart" went to the top of the charts, so I didn't remember what the band was called. I most certainly did not remember the video, which is bonkers and well worth watching. The lead singer is a singer/saxophonist for corn's sake, and her name is Rindy Ross and she is still married to her Quarterflash bandmate Marv Ross, which warms my heart. And she runs around in a leotard in the video, which is also heartwarming. Just sayin.

And I signed up for NaBloPoMo. You should too. C'mon, we all need things to read every day.

1 comment:

  1. Quarterflash. Oh, my. I haven't thought about them in years. I used to see them when they played the Portland, Oregon dives when they were still Seafood Momma.

    ReplyDelete