Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Shut it up, just shut up, shut up.

Shutting up really is interesting, man, even if it's forced. I don't think I'm huge talker anyway, depending on the company, but you know, what if you had to think carefully about every single thing you said because your speaking resources were so limited and delicate? It really cuts back on the driving-related swearing, I can tell you that. This all kind of makes me want to go on a silent retreat. But without the sneezing, fatigue, coughing, sore throat, and (unrelated) backache that seizes every time I cough or sneeze.

On the plus side, there are bagels and schmearing materials in the kitchen here at work (and I didn't bring lunch).

On the other plus side, here's my sister Em's response to my health-related complaints and feeling old:
Sorry you feel so shitty. I was just emailing back and forth with a couple of my friends about 2008 resolutions and concluded that our goals are totally old people goals. Like one of Sarah's was "stick to The Budget" and the other Sarah’s was "less dairy more yoga" and Elizabeth’s was "7 healthy bowel movements per week" mine had something to do with my retirement fund.

Then I said if we were really old our lists would look actually more ambitious but stupid and would include like:

• take cruise
• audition for broadway musical
• asian cooking class
• sky dive
• make love to a woman
• learn the computer

So I know what you mean about feeling old.
If you are bored at any point today, Free Rice is only like the best game ever, I mean if you're a vocab jerk like me (not that you would necessarily glean that fact from my recent entries). I am determined to get up past level 48. (Update: I hit 50. These are the things that make me feel good.)

5 comments:

  1. A new game to pass the time at work! Thank you, thank you, thank you! I love it already. It's the best Christmas present ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there should be another version for non-native speakers. I wanna hit 50 too :P. I guess 36 is not too bad tho

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make love to a woman! Great resolution for all ages!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it! And one of the vocab words I got was "maven".

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just played the rice game last night! Mina's class was talking about it so we played at home. I think I was playing at a negative level. Actually, I did ok. That's what Mina told me at least.

    ReplyDelete