Thursday, January 03, 2008

Come on baby, finish what you started.

I gotta say, internets, it's pretty invigorating to read all of your goals and resolutions for the new year. Everybody's getting rid of physical and psychological clutter, socking away money, training for sprint triathlons, and making happiness a central goal. I think it's especially cool when you post your resolutions year after year, and we can stick with you see how your goals evolve. Way to be.

Here are some of mine:
Finish my gotdamn doctorate in 2008. I mean obviously.
Contribute the max to my IRA. I saved like $5 in my 20s, and I have a lot of catching up to do.
Take control of my brain. Sort of a weird way of putting it, but I'll explain. I saw this program on hypnosis the other day and it rocked me. One of the segments was about a surgeon in Spain who's been operating without anesthesia for 25 years--he uses hypnosis with his patients instead. Hypnosis is fascinating to me all by itself, but what really got me is this idea that our brains are so full of possibility, and there are so many things we could be doing better, just with our own brain power. Even though I would say I am a basically happy and stable person, I have some negative and defeatist thinking that I need to invert. Who knows, I might even hypnotize myself. Or you. Watch out.

Now as long as we're sharing, tell me what your obsessive-compulsive tics are. The Brit and I have been talking about these a lot lately. Mine are not pathological and they come and go, but in recent years I've been counting my steps a lot. I'm my own little pedometer. I almost invariably count stairs as I'm climbing them. I also blow air upwards onto my contact lenses, which is actually a functional habit that helps my eyes water when they are dry. Unfortunately, it makes me look like a monkey when I'm doing it.

4 comments:

  1. Have you seen [What the #$*! Do We (K)now!?]? It's great for pondering all the untapped potential of our wonderous minds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure this counts but when I was little (and still sometimes now) if I lost something or couldn't find the answer to something I would, very literally, file it away in a folder in my brain of things to ask about when I got to heaven.
    yeah...as I read that I realize it's not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mymsie, yes! I blogged about it over here.

    Emily, you reminded me of something hilarious I used to do when I was afraid of ghosts and things. I had a very ritualistic protection prayer that involved saying "please" twelve times, which evolved into a little rhythmic singsong, which I in turn called a "set of pleases." So then I would use a certain number of "sets of pleases" to ask for protection from different types of baddies, including ghosts, witches, and "count draculas." I was about 8. It was sort of like my rosary.

    ReplyDelete