Sunday, January 20, 2008

Got a devil's haircut in my mind.

Dear Twin Cities (and the rest of you), I have had another haircut:
Right side, plus crazed expression.
This hairdo, like all of my hairdos for the last few years, is the work of magician Kathy, who is now at Salon George in St Paul. Have I ever told you the story of how I found my hair lady? Back in my secret shopping days, I used to snag awesome assignments at Aveda concept salons and get free massages and haircuts. I ended up evaluating Kathy twice, accidentally, and then decided I was probably busted and came clean at my next appointment. Since then, she has outfitted me with several rock and roll mullets and other hairdos that regularly get attention from strangers and friends alike. Seriously, before 2005 my hair had never gotten such love.
More back. And top.
Anyway, there are lots of things to appreciate about Kathy. She is friendly and interested in her clients, but there is no vapid chatter. She is an actual trained and educated artist, too--hair just happens to be her main medium. I can come in with a half-formed idea or a picture, and she gets excited and figures out how to execute it. Possibly best of all--and I don't think I'm alone in thinking this--her haircuts grow out awesomely well, which I appreciate more and more now that I am rocking short hair. There's nothing worse than feeling like you need a haircut every two or three weeks.

Needless to say, I have been recommending her left and right for the past few years, and now, guess what? You, yes YOU, gentle reader, have a big incentive to take my recommendation to heart, for if you make an appointment at Salon George with Kathy before April 1, and you tell her I sent you from my blog, you will get a half price haircut. Not only that: you will be entered into a drawing to win free haircuts for a year.

I mean, come on. You ARE looking kind of shaggy.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip, but the last haircut I paid cash money for was before Midnight Marauders hit the shelves, not that they were directly related. Since then I have expertly sculpted such dos as: Giant Afro 1, Gianter Afro 2, several bowl cuts and for the last decade, buzz cut #3 (or 4 before I lost the #4 guard to my clippers) with my own two hands.

    On the strength, you do rock some fine cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Todd, considering the travel expense to get to Salon George, this deal wouldn't save you any money. Especially since your current haircut fee is $0.

    The Brit hasn't had a pro haircut since 1996. It's now a team effort with clippers and three different attachments, plus my styling handiwork with scissors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's some damn fine cute hair on your cute head. nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you got some slammin' hair there, yo! hit me back if kathy ever decides to do a tour of duty in nyc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice!

    Your haircuts make me feel a little ashamed of my slovenliness. I just realized I never even brushed my hair this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love hairstylist recommendations, even if I don't live in the same town as the person doing the recommending. I guess I just like to know that people are happy with their stylists - I know all too well the pain of not having someone to trust with your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much!!

    Kathy was my hair lady for quite some time-she even did my hair for my wedding! I lost her when she moved salons and was googling her "kathy" "kathy juut" "kathy st. paul salon hairsylist", when your blog came up showing me EXACTLY where to go!

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sia, that's so awesome! I was hoping exactly that kind of thing would happen, since Salon George doesn't have a website...or if it does, it has absolutely no teeth on Google.

    ReplyDelete