Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Total content thievery.

Here are some words that have delighted me lately:

From Kayemess, still gestating, a diatribe/manifesto about perceived obsolescence and making stuff:
But here, unbidden, a new phone which needs a new charger system, a phone-book thick manual, pages of warranties, two boxes - another endless pile of Stuff so I can be Upgraded. Which sent me off on one of my patented rants to AH. This one about Making Do - and how that spirit is utterly lacking in the modern world and is the cause of most problems. Later at a coffee shop, I scribbled my thoughts down on a my bookmark, reproduced whole cloth here:
Make! Do!
A Way of Life
A Manifesto
Get by with what you have - resist the urge to upgrade.
Embrace a Depression mentality.
A good kitchen sink dinner is more praiseworthy than the best ingredients shopped for and assembled by rote.
Make do - but also Make! and Do!
Limit options and it will expand your creativity.
From Kickpleat's end-of-year meme:
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007?
Tall socks.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one.
From Melinda, whose blog posts WILL NOT be permalinked, an excerpt from her resolutions:
I swear like a sailor. It is most unattractive and yet fully, fully satisfying. Cletus the Former Fetus is like a large adorable parrot. It is only a matter of time before she asks me for a fucking bottle. And while I will admit that such a request would make my heart secretly laugh like it has never laughed before, I am not prepared to accept the societal consequences of being That Mom.
From Violet, who is always funny, but somehow this description really got me:
This morning, on my way out of the gate at the top of the ramp, I met Laughin’ Ed, a fellow sailor who has tanned himself the same rich reddish-brown shade as a Beggin’ Strip. He talks like his chest cavity is filled with asphalt and laughs at seemingly random times. He is the Doctor Hibbert of our marina. “Hey, Ed, how’s it going?” I said this morning, and he laughed and laughed. I think he’s on pills, but at least he held the gate for me.
You know the rest of you delight me too.

2 comments:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly with Kayemess' thoughts! And speaking of such notions, I just watched The Story of Stuff, which was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmmm... Dogs don't know he's not bacon.

    XOX

    ReplyDelete