Monday, February 11, 2008

I'm the same boy I used to be.

I'm having that day at work where I'm primarily putting together mailings, and it is very soothing activity after a big weekend. Plus it has the possibility to make me inordinately happy, for I am using interdepartmental mail envelopes and I just came across one that's been circulating this institution for FOURTEEN YEARS. Once all the address lines were full, someone just printed out a sheet of them and glued it on. I believe that people are committed to this envelope, and that's enough to cheer me up even when I don't need cheering.

Another thing that cheered me was hearing that song "Valerie" in the car on the way to work today. Not the Steve Winwood one, though that probably would have been good for a laugh--I'm talking about Amy Winehouse's crazy ass. The girl has indisputably got pipes.

7 comments:

  1. Oh, I am so in love with the interoffice envelopes, though I haven't seen one in years. I worked at a company that used them regularly (this was before email was ubiquitous), and it was not uncommon to send fun little notes and treats to friends or crushes via the i.e. I also just loved seeing all those names. Ditto library check-out cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, a big weekend--do tell!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love the idea of a humble interoffice envelope kicking around for 14 years, and I also am amazed that such a huge voice can come out of a body as tiny as Amy Winehouse's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Tina, I wasn't being coy. I just had a rather ambitious recital on Sunday and it went very well, but the run-up to these things is always pretty feverish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude- I just saw your no-knead bread on flickr, and have been entertaining notions of making it myself (not anytime soon, obviously). Is it the shit?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, it is INDEED the shit. And super easy. If they would give you oven access you could probably do it in the hospital. Alls you need is flour, yeast, salt, and a dutch oven (or any lidded cast iron pot). I'll post the recipe on my food blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still heart Amy W. I don't give a shit what they say about her walking the razor. I was so uncomfortable and thrilled watching her on the Grammys. Her desperation to do well, like a shield holding back the craziness, uh, she got me. "Camden is burning down!"

    ReplyDelete