Thursday, February 21, 2008

Killing the Blues.

Why hasn't anyone in my jurisdiction been talking about Raising Sand, the Robert Plant/Alison Krauss collabo? I'd been hearing tracks from it periodically on the radio and thinking "I gotta buy that," and I finally remembered to do so a few days ago. It is good stuff. It probably helps that I am a fan of both musicians, but not a particularly well-schooled one, so for me this record just is what it is, independent of legacy or genre: a slightly moody, haunting, mostly down-tempo collection of Americana featuring two splendid voices. I mean really, is there anyone who has a prettier voice than Alison Krauss? If so I would like to know who. And Plant, of course, can wail, though he barely wails on this. You should listen to "Nothin." And the rest of it.

7 comments:

  1. We've been talking about it, me and Madness! We just haven't gone public with it. I have played their version of Killing the Blues 40 times in one day, I'm sure. And my next favorite is Please Read the Letter. It kind of makes me want to do heroin, but I still dig it. And no, I don't think anyone has a prettier voice than AK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh good, I'm so relieved to know that my people are down with this already.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it too! I accidentally managed to hear about it when it came out and bought it then. It is so very good.

    I love her voice. Allison Krauss and Union Station's version of Little Feat's "Oh Atlanta" is also a treat. This recording is a little rough but yout get the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really swoon over the opening lines of AK's "Stay": "Where have you been, my long lost friend." And I love her version of "When You Say Nothing at All."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I need to buy it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so in love with the CD. I was going to do a post called Is It Too Obvious to Love Raising Sands the Way I Do? And instead I just emailed Marigoldie. Sometimes I'm not sure if my taste in music is goofy or spot on. Doesn't change how I like it, but it does change how I announce it. Here are my fav's: Killing the Blues, the Sister Rosetta track right after that. Through the Morning, Through the Night is my #1 fav and Your Long Journey is my #2. Krauss has the prettiest female voice I've ever heard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's one of the best cd's I've purchased in a long, long time...prithee, buy it and enjoy! (I surfed in via Librarianista, btw)

    ReplyDelete