Monday, March 10, 2008

Fashiony, styley.

I don't read very many style blogs, but why is no one talking about the Converse One-Star stuff from Target? Since it looks underwhelming when viewed online, I'll tell you that it's basic, well-designed, sporty uniform clothing, in substantial fabrics, in standard neutrals--all of which I am kind of feeling right now. Last year I would have said "feh." But now, since I can't find (or really afford at full price) the excellent pieces by Dunderdon, and I am into the idea of wearing a uniform, these little Converse dresses and jackets might fit the bill. That is, if I even decide I need to buy anything, which truthfully I do not.

So, since I'm not buying stuff, the good news is that there was a clothing swap yesterday! And I came away with some excellent new/old stuff, including a stellar pair of cowboy frankenboots by Fluevog in olive green! Primarily the clothing swap was a hilarious parade of my sister Mol's old, spotty clothes, some of which I remember from the early 90s. She's attempting a clean slate approach to her wardrobe right now, which I support, but it made for some very funny viewing. My preferred method for the clothing swap is to have each participant try to "sell" her clothes by describing the brand, cut, fiber content, etc, and Mol had a huge load of crap to get rid of, so she was doing a LOT of selling, mostly unsuccessful.

Willa was also there, wearing JEANS:
Jeans!

She got passed around and around and she was an angel the whole time. She also actually fell asleep while her mother was yelling about clothes and wrestling into tiny tank tops for comic effect:
Baby passes out while mother is yelling about her old clothes.

Conclusion: naked lady party=good times. If you haven't done this before, I recommend it--though, per my promise to the partygoers, I now have a carload of leftovers to take to Goodwill.

In other style-related news, WHAT IS UP with the Amsterdam crafters having access to the best vintage fabrics with which to make fine, fine pillows? Everything I like on etsy, pillow-wise, seems to come from katrina kaye and absoluut. Check them out for yourself.

Also, look at what we hung in the living room:


It's by Koloman Moser. I lurve it.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for the introduction to both of those brands. Occasionally I can find a shirt or skirt at Target, but usually not.

    Love cute Willa and love the poster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the poster - I'm totally envious. And that Willa is so damn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Koloman Moser poster is great. His work reminds me of Aubrey Beardsley & then when I checked the dates of their respective lives I now wonder if Beardsley was a strong influence...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please to post photo of Frankenboots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE LOVE LOVE your new poster.

    And clothing swaps are the greatest. It looks like you guys had a ball.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I didn't need to know about that Converse One line .. . far too cute. Can't even look at it 'cause I want most of it.

    The Willa jeans are almost the cutest things I've ever seen in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Madness, that converse stuff is all you.

    Violet, check flickr for frankenbooties.

    ReplyDelete