Thursday, March 27, 2008

Rollin with the homies.

Okay, my friends. As you may remember, four weeks from tonight, I shall be bowling, possibly badly, in the Pro-Choice Resources annual Bowl-a-thon. This is the 15th year for PCR's Bowl-a-thon and they've ramped up their fundraising goal to $50K, so I've ramped up mine as well--and I'm over halfway there.

This is my third year doing this fundraiser and I'm not likely to quit. Here are just a few of the reasons that I support an organization that works every day to reduce barriers to the full spectrum of reproductive health services:
  • Government intervention in sex education has helped lead to yet another crisis: according to a national representative study released by the CDC earlier this month, 1 in 4 girls between 14 and 19 has a sexually transmitted disease. Young women's health is a casualty of abstinence-only sex ed curricula. PCR provides real, comprehensive sex education to teens and women in my community and beyond, through neighborhood festivals, professional conferences, and community forums, and via the Birds and Bees Project website.
  • The U.S. has the highest teen pregnancy rate of any developed country, despite the fact that American teenagers are not more sexually active than their Swedish, Canadian, or British counterparts. In countries where comprehensive sex education is the norm, people don't start having sex at a younger age--they're just far more likely to use contraception when they do.
  • You think the welfare system is a mess? Almost half of teen mothers end up on welfare, and teen moms are less likely to complete high school or go on to post-secondary education, too. Support an organization that provides comprehensive sex ed and help break this cycle.
And I haven't even gotten into the rest of the reproductive health issues I want to talk about. Next time, next time.

Here's a great chance to put your money where your mouth is. Any donation to PCR, in any amount, can make an immediate impact on the people who are served by PCR's programs. Really! PCR doesn't get funding from the government or United Way, and they really depend upon your support.

Here's my personal fundraising page, or you can just click on that big button at right to make a contribution to PCR. And because I like you, for every donor that ponies up, I'm going to throw an extra dollar in. So far, that's $17 extra for PCR, and it could be lots more!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, Miss--I believe that I contributed to you & PCR, but my spasticness may have caused a malfunction of the system. I will confirm that the transaction went through, and if not, re-do. Yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Violet, it doesn't look like it went through. Let me know if you have trouble with it--you can always paypal me the funds and I'll contribute for you.

    ReplyDelete