Friday, April 25, 2008

Dressing you up in my love.

Apparently fashion forecasters have been suggesting that dresses are dead, which is plain stupid (as is fashion forecasting in general, but I digress). In response to this "news," the NYT has published this barfy article, in which the author bemoans the so-called passing of the dress mostly because he really likes looking at chicks in dresses. He deems trousers a "useful wardrobe default for the woman in business." He slams crow's feet, tight Wranglers, and suede chaps. And there's an attached slideshow of women in dresses called "I enjoy being a girl."

Blech, blech, blech, blech. And feh. I mean New York fucking Times.

Feministing has already done a fine job of pulling out the article's barfier statements and breaking down why they are so barfy. So much for those of us who choose our clothes based on comfort, convenience, and our own aesthetic sensibilities. Unfortunately, ladies, you're subject to the good old male gaze whether you like it or not.

I'm going to spend the summer wearing dresses, but I'll also be perfecting my jumpsuit design.

5 comments:

  1. Dresses are chic- and happy-making. Those NYT people are fools.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you picked up on this article and mentioned it! I have been fuming about it. And I'm glad to hear that other people took offense to it. Slimy articles like this make me want to wear dresses even less than I already do. As it is, I won't wear a skirt to work unless it is accompanied by the type of boots that no one would deem sexy.

    I'm really upset that there are whole new generations of women (of which I am meant to be a part) who have been convinced that this kind of thing is flattering and not sexist at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Dresses are a necessity in the hot summertime. What is up with the NYT? Gross.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Blech. Why does the NYT publish crap like this? What editor reads this and thinks it's okay? Gross. I'll wear pants if I want to, thankyouverymuch, and a dress if I want to -- for me, and not for yucky men who ogle every woman who comes into view.

    ReplyDelete
  5. F Off, Barfy Article Writer. I enjoy being a girl, and being able to say that.

    ReplyDelete