Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Green Smoothie update.

I've now had a solid week of drinking my greens every day. After day two or so, I even got the Brit on board. I make a blender full in the morning, drink a glass while I get ready for my day, and fill a 16 ounce bottle for snacking on throughout the morning. I'm not really kidding about the snacking--that's how it feels, since there are enough greeny and fruity bits to chew on a little.

My anecdotal evidence goes like this: I am feeling better, I am less tired during the afternoon, and I am uninterested in snacking on crappity crap. Drinking coffee in the morning even feels kind of counterproductive (though I am having some anyway, because I love the stuff). And I feel a little silly about this, but last night I told the Brit that I was already excited about this morning's green beverage. Don't mock me; I had a fresh pineapple to cut up and add to the recipe, and fresh mint to go with it. Have you never sprinkled chopped fresh mint over your pineapple chunks? It is the bomb.

I have a horror of becoming an obnoxious evangelist about anything, but I have to admit that I can kind of understand why raw foodists are always going on about their energy levels and using lots of exclamation points. By 11 AM I've had 10+ grams of fiber, all the Vitamin A and C I need for the day and then some, a pantload of potassium, a really nice start on the day's calcium and iron, and a whole bunch of other vitamins that do I know not what. Also, this stuff is delicious. I wouldn't bullshit you.

In other news, I dropped my laptop yesterday and apparently destroyed the connection to the screen. Green smoothies won't keep you from doing stupid stuff.

10 comments:

  1. Wow, I'm intrigue-ed. Now let's see that haircut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of the pineapple and mint. My neurosis about textures will probably prevent me from actually putting things together in the blender, but I can work in some greens in the morning.

    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. All hail fresh green stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmm, pineapple and mint is wonderful! i'm a bit queasy at the thought of drinking greens, but one day i'll give it a go...cuz i want that joy, that crazy good feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marigoldie, hair pics are coming. It actually doesn't look as different as I was anticipating, just more shaped and less mullety.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So if you've had all your good bits by 10am does that mean you get to have burgers for lunch and pizza for dinner? If so, sign me up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha - this post was fun to read. Love the last point ;)

    And, I'm one of those High Raw vegans who loves her greens!!!!! (had to add some extra exclamation points).

    Have a GREAT week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm gonna have to try this...hesitated by the kale last night at the grocery store.

    And I'm assuming you've experienced no "tummy troubles"?

    Just sat for 20 minutes outside, savoring a Twix bar for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My husband & I made a green smoothie per your postings this morning & I must say that while I am loving the grassy-ness - it's so hearty I need to drink it in smaller doses throughout the morning! Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dude, I just made the smoothie! I added half a pear too. It's good and I'm looking forward to experimenting. My bod needs an overhaul and raw food will be part of that plan. Will blog it up later.

    ReplyDelete