Friday, April 18, 2008

Shaking the tree some more.

The other day I got an email message from someone with a new website purporting to offer non-judgmental healing for those affected by abortion, regardless of your political or religious leanings. I'm not going to tell you which website because I don't want to link to them or drive any traffic their way, but suffice it to say that a little digging revealed that the website is an arm of a pro-life ministry and functions a lot like the bogus crisis pregnancy centers that pretend to offer comprehensive reproductive health care services and instead tell women things like "abortion increases your risk of breast cancer" or that it causes "permanent damage." Intimidation, anti-choice propaganda, and misinformation are the name of the game.

Oh, and the email salutation? "Dear blogger." These folks are culling email addresses from those of us who proudly blog for choice or talk about comprehensive reproductive health on our blogs, and they are spamming pro-choice bloggers.

Fortunately, there are places like Pro-Choice Resources that provide real support for women who have had an abortion. Their weekly Emerge support group provides a safe, respectful, and supportive environment for women to gather and share their experiences, free of political or religious agendas. That's just one of the reasons I'm raising funds for the organization.

I'm also raising funds because we are all the beneficiaries of a sexual justice movement that predates many of us. Last night I got a contribution to the Pro-Choice Resources Bowl-a-thon Fundraiser from an older friend who later sent the following email:
I am old enough to have had a friend who had to fly to Mexico in the dead of night - it's hard for young women to imagine how frightening those times were.
I'm grateful for comprehensive sex ed, birth control, condoms, Roe v. Wade, safe and legal abortion, and every person who fought to make these things a reality.

The sad truth is that there are still plenty of people who want to penalize women, especially young women, for having sex--by preventing access to information, birth control, or unbiased medical information. This is one of the reasons that places like PCR exist--to make sure that women and youth can get the information and services that they need.

To make a donation, click the big old bowling button at right. I'm really close to my fundraising goal, but I'm not stopping until it's time to go knock the pins down.

3 comments:

  1. Did you hear about this? It inspired lots of interesting convos between my friends and me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mymsie, yes! It was all over the feminist blogs last week--this entry at Pandagon called out the hoax before it was revealed. Another blogger said "This whole story seems tailored to whip up conservative hysteria. It's as if someone came up with a formula that incorporated all their favorite bugbears: Irresponsible sluts, frivolous abortions, liberal academia, and self-indulgent performance art." That's a pretty good analysis, if you ask me. I didn't get into any conversations about it, but if Shvarts' intention was to spark discussion, she's certainly done it. I find most performance art to be eyeroll-inducing, so I'm not going to be the most open-minded person ever about that aspect of her project--mostly I just think she's probably in danger now from crazies who think she's a "murderer" (ridiculous), and she didn't think through that aspect of the project. And I don't think she did a damn thing to help along the pro-choice cause with her hoax.

    ReplyDelete
  3. this issue hits really close to home for me, and i'm passionate about the mispresentation of these centers to young women.

    i'm cross posting to my blog and giving you props ok? btw i 'know' you through flickrs wr.

    peaceout.

    ReplyDelete