Thursday, April 17, 2008

Signs and portents.

Another item for my midwestern magical realism novel: I was walking across the hazy, warm, windy campus yesterday to meet up with a long-lost friend for lunch, and I looked up and saw a crow with something in its mouth soar out from under the rooftop of a building and into a bare tree. Seconds later, something flapped and drifted through the air and down next to the path, and when it landed I saw that it was a bat, splayed out inside a bush. The crow was flying around with a bat in its mouth. Someone tell me what it means. It can't be anything bad; lunch was great. We could have chit-chit-chatted for the rest of the day.

3 comments:

  1. That is the uber critter encounter!

    Perhaps it is a reminder for us to live life to the fullest, because you never know when something is going to snatch you from your hidey-hole and drop you on your ass.

    ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it's not a result of all the horrible bat issues that have been happening. I read about it first here:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/25/science/25bats.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=bats+dying&st=nyt&oref=slogin

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is a lot like that time a saw the hawk flying with the partially empty bladder of nacho chesse in its talons.

    ReplyDelete