Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Bowl-a-thon Update.

I owe you a little update on the Pro-Choice Resources Bowl-a-thon, which was almost two weeks ago. I know you've been waiting with bated breath to hear about how I bowled, and the answer is: decently. I broke 100. More importantly, I raised $1415 for PCR's programs, passing up my goal by $415. (Plus I won 6 free months at the YWCA, which is pretty rad.)

I know I'm pretty much preaching to the choir here on the subject of reproductive justice, but I believe that it is fundamental to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. It's not enough to say "people need to quit having babies they can't afford" or that parents need to teach their kids about sex and birth control and STD prevention. Both things might be true, but it's also true that people need the right tools in order to be able to choose whether and when to have sex and/or to have children--especially when the "abortion expert" and "teen health expert" on allexperts.com actually works for a crisis pregnancy center, especially when abstinence-only educators propagate misinformation about birth control, especially when the "American Life League" has launched a campaign against the birth control pill because it "kills babies," etcetera etcetera ad vomitum and despair.

I think it's morally wrong to keep people in the dark about their bodies, choices, and the way things actually work. So this is me doing my little part to get the word out to folks, especially women and girls, who might not get the word otherwise.

Thank you so much to everyone who donated.

1 comment: