Thursday, May 22, 2008

I can feel it coming in the air tonight.

Food choices have been my ad nauseam personal development topic of the year, I think, so I was pleased to read Dom's post today about the changes brewing in his diet--pleased because for once someone else is sounding off about it, and pleased because it's all positive stuff about laying off the sugar-crack and giving up the meats. I was gunta spare you another post about my new experiment, too, but he gave me a little charge, so I don't mind telling you that I've gone weekday vegan. The mac and cheese was a nice little sendoff, though I didn't plan it that way. I just got up Monday morning and thought "aight, I'm going to try something else now."

I don't have a lot to report about the experiment so far, except that it hasn't been difficult and I feel good.

It's weird: I feel like I've been working through some resistance about various things over the past few months, without really knowing that that's what I've been doing. Take, for example, the biking: in the past, I always threw out a lot of reasons why it wasn't a viable choice for me, and while a lot of those reasons still stand (like, riding to a rehearsal is a bad idea, especially if the weather is crappy, because your voice will be thrashed when you get there, from the panting if not from the cold air rushing past your vocal folds), most of the reasons have evaporated in the face of how slick a mode of transport biking is, and how good it feels to do it.

Again I should reiterate that this is THE PERFECT time of year to start biking for any reason, and I'm kind of hoping that by the time the weather goes to shit, biking will be habitual enough that I will change my other habits to suit it. I will for example allow more time to get places (so far so good), and wear the right kind of clothes for the job, and shower at work if I need to, or buzz my hair off, or whatever.

Anyway, there's also been some food resistance going on, which I haven't totally thought through--I've just sort of noticed it here and there. It's possible I'm coming out on the other side of it now. But I have this feeling I'm going to go off coffee eventually. I don't know when. It just seems likely, based on everything else that's been going on.

I don't know what will be next, but I welcome it because it all pretty much falls under the grand question of "how will you live so as not to make a mockery of your values?"

PS: If you google "placatan" I'm in the top ten results. What.

3 comments:

  1. I like the bits about resisting. I mean, why do we do that? Letting go seems so liberating, and just feels right; I mean, to the things that are right. I don't feel as crazy about wanting to be car-free as I would've, say, a year ago even though, deep down, I wanted that then too. The whole Simple Life concept gains more and more momentum especially as I admitt more and more how happy it makes me.

    I've been drawing some inspiration from this family. They're from around your way:
    http://carfreefamily.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's "placatan" mean?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hm, I will have to defer to the Puerto Ricans on that one, but it's the kind of BOOYA! comic book sound effect you might trot out to declare your own superior skills.

    ReplyDelete