Thursday, June 05, 2008

Don't threaten me with love, baby, let's just go walking in the rain.

I got caught in a cloudburst tonight. There was NO ONE running around the lake, I think perhaps because of the severe thunderstorm warnings they've been tossing around all day and all the crazy lightning I saw on the way home from work, and the thunder crack so loud I actually jumped in my car. But most of it blew over and the weather warnings expired and I was determined to do one more run before the 5K on Saturday, so I went out anyway.

Most of it was fine, even though I was tired (I biked a lot yesterday and my quads are objecting). It was blustery and gray and humid but not raining, and the great blue heron kept launching himself around the lake just ahead of me. I have seen loads of herons in the last few days, incidentally. Or maybe just the same one, cruising around wherever I happen to be. Anyway, a little over halfway around, the wind start whipping the trees and blowing up the lake like some mystical beast was going to emerge from it. That's where my mind was, anyway, because of the Scottish historical fiction I read earlier this week--more on that later. (Also, there's a concession stand on that side of the lake that has some inexplicable signage about the "Snack Ness Monster" on it so, you know, maybe there's something to that mystical beast idea.)

By the time I got to the bridge, it was pouring. I was running hard and grinning like an idiot. I picked up about 10 extra pounds in sodden clothing weight. And I felt like crap, but good, too, exhilarated and hoping that I wasn't going to draw any lightning. Did you know that there was a park ranger who was struck by lightning 7 different times in his life? None of those strikes killed him, either. I think after the third time I'd probably consider changing jobs.

The sink's still full of my wet clothes. The cat's been trying to get a piece of me for hours, and I just made my favorite shake: frozen bananas, soy milk, peanut butter (except with almond butter, a new contender), and cocoa powder. Deeeelicious.

3 comments:

  1. I know that grin. I had that same look in similar conditions over a week ago. I got caught in the rain on my bike and I don't think I've ridden in the rain since I was in jr. high. It is exhilarating, isn't it. I couldn't stop laughing when the wind blew lil spikes of drops in my face.

    When I was a kid, I was obsessed with the Guinness Book of World Records and I remember staring at many of the photos for hours, one of which was that ranger. He held his ranger hat in his hands which had a hole on the top surrounded by burnt edges.

    Anyway, just came by to chat. Go kick some 5K ass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo, I was riding home on my bike in that storm yesterday! It was so much fun. Walked up my hill though; decided I wouldn't fight the river flowing down.

    I've read "Outlander" too...maybe one of the only books we've both read?! I tried to get into the second book but couldn't, or I got too busy or something.

    I steal your heron.

    ReplyDelete
  3. *spies last twitter* I am awaiting your Outlander review. My bestest college BFF introduced me to the series... My 2 cents, as a farm girl daughter of an English teacher, that went from reading Ruth Chew, to Judy Blume, to Tevis & Bradbury, with a brief tawdry relationship w/ Joahnna Lindsey etc., I think they are quite engrossing reads.

    ReplyDelete