Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Some things to love about biking home at twilight:
A belly full of sweet potato fries and beer; the perfect air temperature; the noodly toodling of robins; the neighborhood smells: grills, woodsmoke, the sharp tang of ketchup, sprinkler-wet gardens, late-blooming trees, and inexplicably, manure; roads that seems to stretch out flat but slowly kill your thighs with long, low grades; tiny bugs that glance off your lips and nose and that you miraculously never seem to inhale; lungfulls of delicious air, wide and empty streets; cursing under your breath because that seems to be your most useful response to beauty and satisfaction apart from smiling at everyone, anyone, no one in particular; thinking of the perfect comeback after you've zipped past a teenager who says "VROOOMMMM" when you pass him (comeback=looking him full in the face and singing "ya HEARRRRRRRRRRD!"); the neighborhood cats picking their way along the edges of yards in order to find the perfect place to sit and lord it over everyone; the cutoff tights that make biking in a dress a no-brainer; the magic that makes the ride home so much faster and easier than the ride there.

5 comments:

  1. sweet sweet! I can't wait to get a bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beer and a bike ride is my most favouritest thing in the world. I also like how, unlike running/walking long distances, your shoes can be distinctly impractical. I'm going to have to steal that impromptu bike short idea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cut off tights! Why didn't I think of that? Perfect. I've been toiling over this forever. I've worn some very unattractive bike shorts under there before, but they were bulky and depressing looking on my hamhocks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seem to mutter "bitch" every time I ascend my bad hill. It is not getting easier!

    The tights sound like a good idea, but my ride is so short I haven't really needed that kind of underskirt comfort/modesty.

    Hamhocks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hamhocks indeed. Let's talk about knee fat, too, something which is not at all helped by bike shorts. At least I can cut off tights below the knee. They don't even have to be completely opaque and I still feel covered when my skirt invariably blows up.

    ReplyDelete