Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Home again, home again, jiggity jig.

In the bastard-hottest part of our drive home on Saturday, my AC failed to start up. Through about an hour of eastern MT, the car blew bastard-hot air every time we tried to turn the thing on. I was driving 75 (the actual speeding limit) with the window partway down, the better to blow bastard-hot air at me from outdoors.

The idea of driving across the entire state of NoDak with no AC was horrible to contemplate. I finally pulled off the freeway and stopped the car to go and ask about a service station, but instead started the car back up on the Brit's suggestion, and the AC was back on track. Cool air, voila, you probably saved my relationship and you definitely saved my road trip. From then on it was just baked hills and fields of sunflowers. Wayward sunflowers spring up on the highway median, too, where seeds have blown across fences.

Much later, we were rolling up to Bismarck in the rain and I asked the Brit what he wanted to do, and he said "let's just keep going," and that is how I ended up spending 15 hours in the car that day. We spent a lot of the day listening to Devil in the White City, an account of the architects of the 1893 Chicago World's Fair and the serial killer who exploited the Fair for his own ends. It is extremely well-written popular history, very fascinating and likely to lead you down a serious Wikipedia rabbit hole, if you're inclined that way. (I am, which is why I never posted this on Monday when I started writing it.) Once the rain blew over, we saw the entire arc of a rainbow in front of us. I actually can't remember the last time I saw a full rainbow.

Since we got back, I've pulled most of the weeds in the backyard, won trivia (along with Team Bootie Queen) and added to my Jagermeister t-shirt collection as a result, and gotten soaked on my bike thanks to afternoon rainshowers. My shoes actually filled up with water, as did my pants. I am reading Zorro by Isabel Allende. I watched a lot of swimming and gymnastics last night. I have not yet scrubbed the cooler. I am still in vacation mode.

1 comment:

  1. Damn. You must have good karma that your AC rose from the dead! I want to go to MONTANA!

    ReplyDelete