Thursday, September 18, 2008

I already shared this on my Google Reader thingie over there, but here's a nice little nugget from Shakesville:
Oliver Wendell Holmes once said: "I like paying taxes. With them I buy civilization." And I've always thought the Democrats should use that, should connect, at every opportunity, paying taxes and buying civilization.

Every time some bloviating nitwit conservative goes on about how the government never gave him nuttin', the Democrats should say: "Oh, you've never used roads? Never mailed anything? Never logged on to the internet?"

And every time the Republicans talk about the Democrats wanting to raise taxes, the Dems should retort: "Yes, we want to raise taxes on those who can afford it, because with taxes, we buy civilization. We build schools and bridges and freaking spaceships. You got a problem with that?"

4 comments:

  1. And amen again. I keep thinking much the same thing when I hear the Republicans railing on about how the Democrats will raise taxes and therefore they're bad.

    However, Joe Biden tried to approach the issue in a similar way by saying that raising taxes on the rich people was really just asking them to be patriotic, to set aside their own interests in favor of the nation. Sarah Palin mocked this idea, saying "to the rest of America, that's not patriotism. . . . Raising taxes is about killing jobs and hurting small businesses and making things worse."

    So it seems to me that part of the problem can be addressed by changing the terms in which we (Democrats) talk about taxes. But the other part is that people just lie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christy, right! And Biden's response to what Palin said:

    "How many small businessmen are making one million, four hundred thousand–average in the top 1 percent. Give me a break. I remind my friend, John McCain, what he said–when Bush called for war and tax cuts–he said, it was immoral, immoral, to take a nation to war and not have anybody pay for it. I am so sick and tired of this phoniness. The truth of the matter is that we are in trouble. And the people who do not need a new tax cut should be willing, as patriotic Americans, to understand the way to get this economy back up on their feet is to give middle class taxpayers a break. We take the tax cut they’re getting and we give it to the middle class."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how Biden slaps people around. McCain and Them are flailing right now. I've never heard so much contradiction, ever. It's incredulous. They are so in over their heads. Aarrgg!

    ReplyDelete