Friday, September 19, 2008

On a mountaintop, tootin' on a flizoot.

A dirty little secret is that this, the third week in September, is the first week I have taken the bike to work every day, to two of my jobs, anyway (riding for an hour one way, largely uphill, on Sunday morning and then singing a few services is still a little advanced for me). When I started riding for transportation purposes back in early May, my resolution was to ride my bike to work at least once a week. I ended up riding to work 2-3 times a week most weeks and to my dance class every week. There were also a few weeks when things were bonkers and I had various errands all over town and I didn't bike at all (see for example: the week before vacation. Hurry up and relax!!).

But now we're having that perfect weather week, you see. The one where daytime temperatures are in the 70s but the mornings are crisp, and the sun is out, and the roads are dry, and everyone is in a good mood. You should hear the greetings flying around on the bike trails. There are some headwinds here and there, but people just pull up next to you on their rigs and joke about them. It makes you feel tough, like a member of a club. I've been veering off my well-worn route, just for kicks. And also because one of the main bridges I usually use to get to work has closed its bike lanes for the foreseeable future and requires me to disembark and walk, which is the last thing I want to do when I am rolling rolling rolling. Thanks to my detour, this morning a dude and I got off our bikes to haul some trash bags full of yard waste off the middle of the busy Franklin Ave bridge. "See you later Good Samaritan!" he hollered when our bikes parted ways. A few minutes later, I was singing the praises of my bike basket to the woman locking up her bike next to me (she asked).

Sometimes you gotta drive, but stuff like that doesn't happen when you're in your car.

Also, a few weeks ago, I found the best exercise pants ever at Thrifty Outfitters. They're capri-length pants by Sugoi and they are made of a perfect, futuristic fabric and they have deep pockets in the front and back, yet they manage to be sleek. When I run they go ssskrick ssskrick, like enough to be funny, but they are totally getting the job done for my various activities. They even look good enough to wear for real, though by wearing them you would be telegraphing the idea that you are an active and sporty person who will take off running after work.

I guess what I'm saying is that this has been the week to EAT IT UP, so that's what I'm doing. It's happy hour, bitches.

4 comments:

  1. You are a biking goddess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, my friend. Shit like that don't happen in the car.

    What is this praise-worthy basket?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's just one of those Wald fold-up baskets that you attach to a back rack--here's their site and pic. I love it. You can chuck so much stuff in it, and then fold it up when you're not using it (rare for me). It's a little noisy, but it's not like I'm riding a sleek rig anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so right. Stuff like that doesn't happen in your car. Once I get a new job down here in BC I am going to commit to some sort of bike commuting too. Oh - and I just wanted to say that while I hate to be a label whore, Sugoi makes fantastic gear.

    ReplyDelete