Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Alignment.

Last night I looked up on my way home and noticed an extra-beautiful crescent moon with two big, shiny planets lined up next to it. It was noticeable enough that even a non-skywatcher like me could tell that something unusual was happening. Turns out it was an alignment with Venus and Jupiter. The moon, Venus, and Jupiter are the three brightest objects in the sky (Venus, in fact, is so bright that it occasionally drew antiaircraft fire in WWII). They won't line up this way again with this much visibility until November 18, 2052. It pays to look up once in awhile.

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, Venus (?) was so bright I thought it was a plane before the sun went down. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, saw this last night too, but forgot to research it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you check Flickr, you'll see all sorts of photos of the grouping that, depending on where you are on the planet, either looks like a frowning or smiling face.

    Astronomy is good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't that beautiful? I was walking along the beach at night, and all three were reflected in the dark water. Thanks, sky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Followed it all the way home to New Orleans from Nashville! Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw it too. Looked up, was transfixed, and stood frozen on the sidewalk outside Goodwill staring at it for a good minute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was overcast here for the alignment, but Husband went mountain biking that night. He and his friend climbed up above the haze, and there the three were. He said it was gorgeous. Sometimes I feel I'm the only one (between the two of us) that is moved by that stuff and I was more thrilled to hear that it had moved him. I didn't have to see it then.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I cry for having missed this?

    ReplyDelete