Monday, December 01, 2008

Oh man.

"Until one is committed, there is a hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: that the moment one definitely commits oneself, then providence moves too. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents, meetings and material assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way. Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now." --Goethe (or whoever--there is faulty attribution all over the place)

On another note, do you remember how you'd make a mix tape and there would be like a scrap of tape left at the end and you didn't ever waste it? What little niblet of a song did you put at the ends of mix tapes? The ones I remembered earlier (why?) while I was ironing are De La Soul's "Delacratic" and They Might Be Giants's "Minimum Wage."

Also, I finally joined Facebook. Everyone I know has a baby and more often two or three. You are busy peoples!

And: once I fell off NaBloPoMo, I decided to stay on the ground, obviously. It was nice down there. Meanwhile, the long weekend was not long enough, the laziness was not lazy enough, but the books were very booky, and the cozy was very cozy, and the togetherness was nearly non-stop. One day I read The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao, which was as good as it's made out to be, and the next day I read For Planets and Kings, which is pretty good if you like those "displaced Midwesterner at the exotic East Coast college" kinds of books. I went running for the first time in ages. My back didn't twang afterward, either, so I shall just take it slow and steady and learn how to do it all over again. I didn't post any recipes on my other blog. I am shocked that it's December.

7 comments:

  1. Great quote.

    I am interested in your granola recipe; I made the one off Emily's link "The Transplanted Baker", which was pretty good. It got a bit overdone.

    December sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often employed the use of TMBG's "Toddler Highway" for my end-of-mix-tape needs. Also, that wee little strings bit that comes right before "Nightswimming" on Automatic for the People.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking of that quote for a YEAR now, once I realized that I hadn't REALLY committed to many things (mostly related to singing). And, of course, Goethe's right - that hesitancy and almost-fear reads to people every time you walk in the room...

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. The "ahhh, love is long" part at the end of Paul McCartney's "Long Haired Lady."

    2. I love For Planets and Kings. Forgot about that one. I know -- I should start posting on GoodReads.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dude. Two words. Embryonic. Journey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tooooooootally Embryonic Journey--in fact that predates Delacratic and TMBG for me. Damn.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah, I learned it from watching you.

    ReplyDelete