Saturday, February 21, 2009

Betrothal.

Hi. Last week I updated my Facebook relationship status to "engaged," because I think that's pretty much how you tell the internet that you're planning to get hitched. The flood of comments this status change unleashed was overwhelming and wonderful, but I think my favorite one was something along the lines of "I don't think you need to have an actual wedding; just get together some Saturday and change your Facebook status to married. I think Facebook is a Unitarian minister."

So now everyone wants to know the story or the plan, but we really don't have either. We started talking about marriage way back in the early days of our relationship, so it's not like it was a real surprise to either of us to start talking about it again. We basically just decided to go for it and tell our families, and if there was a point of decision it probably happened in the middle of the kitchen or something and it's likely we had some tea afterwards.

When we told my family, though, my mother literally did jumping jacks. And it's good that other people are so outwardly enthusiastic, because the Brit and I really aren't--in real life, we are both rather low-key (if intense).

I think that as with most large decisions I've made in my life, the impact and import of this will become clear to me only slowly and in stages. Deciding on when and where and how to do our wedding is already giving me a window into this process. The only thing I know so far is that it will be small and do-it-yourselfy and timed around the travel possibilities of the Britfam. And I will be wearing a hawt thrift store dress if I can help it.

Anyway, dear friends, if this is the first you're hearing about my beyonce because you're not on stupid Facebook and I haven't talked to you for awhile: surprise!

***

Today I heard about one million prospective student auditions, which was both fun and exhausting. The really uncool part about the day is that it's snowing, like snowing several inches, which totally caught me off guard when I left the house this morning. I had, in fact, let my guard down w/r/t winter. I'm supposedly making a whirlwind journey to Chicago tomorrow to see a friend I haven't seen in 15 years (she lives in Sweden), and this trip is going to be markedly more stressful if the roads are crap. But unless there's a blizzard in the morning, I'm going to go. I mean, I have a ticket to her concert and I prepaid for the damn hotel, and I can take it slow on the roads. But ideally I'd get down there expediently and have time to go to the Art Institute before the concert. That might be aiming a bit high. And I want to go to the Chicago Diner. And I have thrift store aspirations on the way home. And and and.

More than anything, I need to relax for awhile. My students are in an opera tonight, but I've got three hours in which to watch a movie and eat mini faux corndogs.

9 comments:

  1. Congratulations! I love your labels of joy, marriage and the future. I had a tiny, very low-key wedding myself and had an awesome time. We also just sort of "decided" to do it (the marriage part) in a very casual, sans proposal kinda way. Anyhoo - I am excited as all get-out to see what you wear. I am totally loving that blue/white dress currently in your etsy shop :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude- the jumping jacks are amazing because I can picture the scene perfectly. Yo mama is wearing one of them Viking sweaters, plus she has the wings and the teef of an African bat. Woot, woot! Would it embarrass the Brit if I emailed him donkeycongratulations? lolz.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!! How exciting! It does feel different once you're hitched, but I'm still trying to figure out how to explain that feeling with words.

    Personally, I would skip the Chicago Diner & hit up Alice & Friends on Broadway near the Thorndale stop. If you're coming from the north, it's on-your-way-ish. I think the food is way better. Chicago Diner has always been hit or miss with me. OR venture to Lula Cafe in Logan Square. I think you might like that better too . . . those are the places I miss the most from back in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All good, and I too like your monumental tags.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks y'all. Chinesetwine, I will bear your suggestions in mind for next time. As it was, I didn't have any time to eat anywhere. Seriously. I just picked up food at Whole Paycheck like I always do, had continental breakfast at the hotel, and at lunch at some market. But I really really want to go back, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know you, but I found your blog quite a long time ago via a link on a friend's blog (the Snarky Squab). I swear I'm not a stalker (famous last words, right?), but I've been reading ever since because I find you and your writing highly entertaining. You seem like someone I'd choose as a friend, were we in the same place. Anyhow, I decided now was the perfect time to de-lurk and say congrats to both of you on the impending nuptials. Marriage is good stuff, and different from singlehood, or even from in-a-relationship-but-not-married-hood in the best ways possible. Enjoy the journey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's not like I gave you super easy to get to suggestions, either! Do let me know the next time you go to Chicago - I lived there for 6 years (right before I moved here) and can give you tons of suggestions for food and/or entertainment if you're looking for any.

    ReplyDelete
  8. YAY! I am a facebook hold-out but heard the news via Melinda who shares my happiness for a mutual friend we've never met. Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete