Thursday, May 14, 2009

When in Rome.

I don't suppose any of YOU know where we should stay in Rome in July. We booked our tickets for a summer England trip recently--have you noticed that high-season fares are the cheapest they've been in like a decade?--and decided that we should really try to get to some other Euro-destination while we're there all young and unencumbered. Poundpapi is coincidentally going to be in Italy at the same time and he is definitely one of the most fun people I can think of to hook up with in a foreign country, so Italy it is. It will definitely help to be with someone who speaks Italian. I can understand lots of Italian but am slow to formulate sentences, and then when I do they are totally archaic and cobbled together from bits of opera libretti.

This trip is already shaping up to be way more action-packed than usual. We're going to see Blur's reunion concert in London (this is for the Brit, since I was in college during Blur's heyday and was listening to a lot of classical singers at the time), and we're going to his dad's wee retreat in Norfolk, and then we're cooking up this sojourn in Italy. It's exciting. Figuring out what to pack is going to be hard. But figuring out where to lay our heads in Italia is sort of hard too. We had this notion that we'd go hike the Cinque Terre (at the highest of the high season, when all tourist destinations are crawling with humans), but I think maybe that's ambitious for a 4-5 day trip that includes Rome.

Anyway, that's what I've been thinking about. Hook me up with some Roman accommodations if you know of any. Also can't-miss sights.

7 comments:

  1. It's totally worth it to spend 3 days in Cinque Terre if you can make it work. It's beautiful even if it is a little busy - and everywhere is in Europe in July. Lovely. Are there monasteries around Rome - that's what we've been pondering doing for a Europe trip next summer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For stays, I think it's better to stay in an apartment. Better deal, more room, kitchen, etc. Check out cyberrentals. Here's a good one:

    http://www.cyberrentals.com/rental/p419854i

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bill, I've been all over the craigslist Rome apt listings and looking for recs wherever I can get them. I totally want to go to Cinque Terre but I'm worried about logistics in such a short time span. Will have to discuss with the troops.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG I'm so excited for you! No helpful advice, however.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds soooo good even if it's crawling with humans. I've never been to Italy but oh, baby, I want to go. You should watch Roman Holiday to warm up for your trip...and Il Postino...and every Fellini movie ever made. That's what I would do, yup.

    Super jealous about the Blur show too. What a fabulous summer jaunt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went to Rome at 14, and again when I was 20, both times with school (or college) and without any choice of accomodation. Bad, bad four-share and crummy breakfasts (ALWAYS go for the most deflated-looking little bread of the basket, the others are just air shaped like bread).

    My take on world travel these days is couch surfing (couchsurfing.com) - you may not want to stay on some stranger's couch, but by having a look at the Rome groups' postings & discussions, you're bound to get good recommendations for out-of-the-tourist-way, fabulous things to see and do. And if you're lucky, a local guide for free. I should know - I've been showing off my local knowledge here in NZ for 2 years now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trains in Italy can be pretty good! Cinqueterre is not far from Genoa and trains Rome to Genoa are probably fast....it's one of the regions of Italy I have never been too but would love to go to. However, if it's too far and you fancy getting out of Rome for a day (i.e. too many Roman remains - which strangely is what happened to me) then Orvieto is an amazing place - it's about 60km north and is built on a huge rock, with a black and white striped duomo and a huge well you can walk all the way down into - built so the city would have water for the popes who would flee there when necessary....

    I can't remember where we stayed in Rome - it was a cheap one star place (but in Italy hotel star ratings are based on facilities offered and not necessarily on cleanliness) so whilst it was basic it was clean and run by a charity - in a small street right behind the Parthenon and since we were only sleeping there our little monks style room was perfect.

    ReplyDelete