Monday, November 23, 2009

Please tell me: am I the only person who is unreasonably irritated by "smashed potatoes"? Did you really SMASH those unsuspecting potatoes with a flippin' mallet, or something? Or did you perhaps MASH them with a good old fashioned mashing implement, or even put them through a ricer? I would accept "riced potatoes" if that is in fact what you did. But unless you crushed the potatoes with your fist, I don't really want to hear about "smashed potatoes."

I'll probably eat them, though.

16 comments:

  1. It only makes me want to kill someone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, I am right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, food names have gotten super pretentious. How are you on "house made?" What is THAT? Is the word "home" too low-brow now?

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Smashed" just screams Rachael Ray to me, which is I guess why I hate it. "House made" hasn't worked my last nerve yet, but I guess that's because it feels to me a bit like "of the house"--like you have the house red, the house balsamic dressing, etc. But all of that kind of begs the question: isn't all your shit made "in the house" at this restaurant, or what?

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the restaurants in the town I went to college was known for their "smashers". It annoyed me to no end they called them that so I never ate there. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SMASHERS, oh lord, that makes me feel all stabby.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It reminds me of Benny & Joon and Johnny Depp dealing to potatoes with a tennis racket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've even heard of smashed pototoes. But I'll hate it too with y'all. I'll support the hate.

    ReplyDelete