Saturday, November 28, 2009

Sandwich party time.

Once again, it's that special time when we all rally around sandwiches, a cause pretty much everyone can get behind.

Sandwich Party.

Here's a funny story, or at least a story. At the last minute and on a whim, I bought a Quorn bogus turkey roast for Thanksgiving, thinking I might just haul it along to my parents' and pop it in ye oven. Normally I'm not fussed about having some fake meat hunk for my holiday dinner, because I've found that ever since I went veg on a Thanksgiving 14 years ago, I enjoy plenty of food without that sluggish feeling that used to hit me post-turkey. But whatever, I like Quorn products, so I bought the roast.

Then the morning of Thanksgiving I got up to start making up a chipotle-glazed sweet potato recipe and working on some highfalutin green bean casserole, neither of which I'd ever made before, and I completely forgot about the damn roast thingy until we were at the gas station and I was wearing a serious pair of crabby pants about the non-functioning gas pump. At that point, we were late driving to the burbs to fetch my grandparents, so I said fuck the Quorn, let's ride. Then we decided to have a nice fight in the car. It was awesome.

But Thanksgiving was good, and I feasted sans Quorn, and I made up with my husboyf, and I baked my roast thingy today and ate it in sandwich form.

Sandwich Party.
What you see here is Quorn roast, sliced, with vegannaise and sambal oelek (a kind of chili paste and a crucial condiment to keep on hand) and avocado on toasted wheat bread from New French. It was good. I drank this with it:

Beverage.
I'd never tried it before. It appears to be fancy hippie soda for assholes, but it's pretty tasty. Nicely carbonated, verrrry lightly sweet which is a plus, but the flavor was sort of like Smarties or Pixie Stix. I'd be down with a more herbal soda. DRY makes a lavender one too, I think, so maybe I'll make another sweet sandwich pairing sometime soon.

5 comments:

  1. Added to the official scrolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH oh oh this sounds so good. It's the sambal oelek that tips it over from "mmmm!" to "OH oh oh!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry, but I lost my concentration right around the phrase "chipotle-glazed sweet potato".

    ReplyDelete
  5. We tried that DRY soda once in Rhubarb. It was good, as far as soda goes.

    ReplyDelete