Tuesday, November 03, 2009

This is going to be another mavenish post because I want other people to buy eyeglasses online with me. EyeBuyDirect.com is having a buy one, get one free sale for another 5 days or so. I've never done this before, but it's pretty dang cheap, especially if you have a minor correction and can use the lenses that are included in the price of the frames (seriously! this means glasses for like $25). I, alas, cannot, for my eyesight is very very bad, and I must pay extra for thin lenses.

The glasses I have now are a few prescriptions old, so I only wear them for pottering around the house--but historically, even with an up to date prescription, I haven't worn glasses because they don't correct my vision as well as contacts do. (If I crashed on a desert island wearing my contacts, I'd be completely screwed.) But I'm generally a good contact lens wearer, all day every day, so I don't mess with glasses.

I'll tell you what, though--the onset of the heating season is really kicking the ass of my eyes this year. I've never had to use eyedrops before, and now--at work, at least--I'm gloobing rewetting solution in my eyes a few times a day. So I think my eyes need a break. I have idly shopped for frames at various points this year and haven't found a thing that I like in stores. That might not seem like a great reason to buy glasses online, but if I'm getting 2 pairs for $150, it doesn't seem like such a ridiculous risk to buy glasses I've never seen before.

Plus! There is technology involved! You can upload a little photo of yourself and try glasses on it on the website, which is hilarious, because your photo will inevitably be a little off kilter and you can't adjust the positioning of the glasses. See:



You need your prescription and pupillary distance to use this site. Have at it. I'll let you know how it goes over here.

5 comments:

  1. Secretary, cancel all my appointments! I'll be trying on glasses the rest of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm all over this. My eyes have been rejecting my contact lenses for the last year or so and I want to have a few more choices in glasses wear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bah, Jenn, I'm hoping my eyes never completely reject lenses. That would be enough to make me consider surgical intervention.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am considering it. My eyes haven't completely rejected contacts, but it's not great.....and I *hate* it. I mean, I love to wear glasses sometimes, but ALL the time? No thanks. All the fogging up in winter, the crap fit under a bike helmet, etc.

    ReplyDelete