Wednesday, November 04, 2009

You know what they say about what killed the cat.

This is about as close as I get to blabbing about my professional life (such as it is) here.

I occasionally work with someone who encourages performers to "replace judgment with curiosity." Which is a really, really nice idea that I could certainly incorporate into, say, political discussions with people I don't agree with, but in the context of performance, "replace judgment with curiosity" can take on the tang of a Theater Shop platitude that inspires only eye-rolling. And let's face it, sometimes you're presented with such a load of boo-shat dressed up as Art that there's no way to withhold judgment.

But there are ways to get around the platitude. As I learned last night, one colleague suggested dealing with it this way:

JUDGMENT = "who wrote this piece of shit?"
CURIOSITY = "I'm curious, who wrote this piece of shit?"

I love this. It absolves you, right?

5 comments:

  1. Ha. This reminds me of my short-lived New Year's Resolution to stop complaining. So instead of: "I hate that XYZ takes so long" I'd say "XYZ certainly is slow today."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious. I was getting something told the other day and referred to it as "just making some observations."

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete