Friday, August 06, 2010

Sunny.

Officially, these are my favorite things I've ever planted:

IMG_7759
bonus bumblebee in this picture

They're sunflowers from heirloom seeds that I nabbed in Iowa back in the spring. I planted them on the sad dirt patch from which I harvested countless rocks last year, out by the garage. I usually refer to this as "the back 40" even though it's probably not even 40 square feet.

IMG_7762

The sunflowers are 4-6 feet tall right now and the colors range from bronze to deep red-orange. I have a few more coming up for good measure.

IMG_7758

Plus, when I got home yesterday, a pair of goldfinches was snacking on the seeds. Darling yellow birds in orange sunflowers was definitely the best thing I saw all day.

IMG_7756

I have some amaranth growing next to the sunflowers, so things are looking rather exciting on the back 40. Also, today on the bike trail I finally disembarked to investigate the fruit hanging off the trees and I think we have greengage plums growing on the trail. It will be a coup for my urban hippie bike commuter cred if I can do some foraging on the ride one of these days.

7 comments:

  1. Those are absolutely gorgeous. What's the variety?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll try to remember to dig up the seed packet when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeousness. I love me some sunflowers, especially the red and orange ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Last year I planted sunflowers and the squirrels dug up all the seeds. Did you do something to prevent that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What in God's name? I've never seen these before. I like 'em so much better than the yellow ones.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love these! I just got a bouquet of (the traditional yellow) sunflowers and they bring me so much joy - I can only imagine having them growing in my yard! The only issue is finding a sufficiently sturdy vase.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these!

    ReplyDelete