Saturday, November 20, 2010

I should get out more.

I just got back from one of those trips to Target where you wander around aimlessly and leave with a bag of what the hell. My bag includes the 30 Day Shred DVD, a bag of pecans, some humidifier filters, some stickers, and a pair of sparkly red maryjanes that are a backup birthday gift for Willa, and probably some other stuff. I was also looking for baby gifties for a friend, and once again I have to ask parents and caregivers how you can stand to shop for kids clothes. The genderpolicing is outrageous. All I want are some adorable baby clothes for babies, in some colors other than pink and blue, with some damn stars or rock and roll motifs on them, and I want them widely available instead of in specialty shops for bourgeois assholes. Don't get me wrong, if you want to dress your tiny boy in sports team gear, have at it! But that shouldn't be the only thing that's available. End rant. AGAIN.

Anyway, now I'm at home and I've made myself some hot chocolate and killed off a carton of soy milk in the process. It got me thinking: I have a specific way of collapsing milk/beverage cartons that I learned at Girl Scout camp. It might not be THE most useful thing I learned as a Girl Scout, but I certainly deploy the technique on a regular basis and I can't think of a single other concrete skill in current rotation that I picked up at GS. It's not like I'm making hobo dinners in the backyard (potato, onion, carrots, hamburger patty wrapped in tinfoil and chucked in the firepit).

I've been working my way through a big bag of WIPs (that's "works in progress" for those of you who get things done in a timely fashion) lately and ticked another one off the list today, to my GREAT DELIGHT. It involved installing a zipper, which I have never done before, and which I did very very inexpertly today, but you know, now I can wear the skirt and my butt doesn't show through. I think it was actually someone else's WIP when I got it. There were some tiny snaps sewed on to the skirt opening (to keep the butt covered, you see) and some raggedy hook and eyes that I salvaged for the waistband. I started this project three years (and like 10 pounds) ago, by the way. Hacked a maxi into knee-length, because it was a total hobble skirt and there are only so many occasions where a brushed-cord, velvety green maxi is an appropriate fashion choice. Hemmed it. Bought the zipper. And it sat and sat. Anyway, I dig it now. I'll show you pictures.

Also, Veronica Mars fans: have you ever noticed how many Big Lebowski references (or flat out homages) there are in season 3? I guess it's been a long time since I've watched it. You know, a long time ago. When we used to be friends. But I haven't thought of you lately at all.



ETA: Also! BSG references in VMars! Excellent.

3 comments:

  1. "bag of what the hell"... my new favourite expression. Can I borrow it on occasion?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Bag of what the hell" is my gift to anyone who would like to use it.

    ReplyDelete