Tuesday, December 07, 2010

Le weekend.

Makeshift cooking is not dead
There is this very simple fava bean salad that I love on the salad bar at my co-op. I have eaten it for breakfast with marinated cucumbers and feta and little broccoli florets and dolmades and baked tofu many times, which makes me wonder why I bother with carb-bombs like (delicious homemade) granola. Anyway, I think the salad is just the beans and lemon and olive oil, so I recently thought "this is dumb, I need to make it at home" and bought some dried favas from the bulk bins. And then because my timing was all off with the soaking/cooking process this weekend I ended up making them in the crockpot, which is great if you don't want to be bothered but less great if you want any beans intact when they are done.

Should you find yourself with about two cups of dried fava beans that you have somehow inadvertently cooked down into near-mush, whizz them in the blender. Then, in a soup pot, saute a small diced onion and 4 cloves of minced garlic in a big glug of olive oil. Add your bean whizz to the soup pot with a half teaspoon of paprika, a teaspoon of cumin, and a little cayenne. Add a grated carrot and some frozen spinach and a cup or two of veggie stock. Simmer for awhile, then stir in the juice of one lemon and salt to taste. Serve with chopped cilantro. Voila: fava bean soup.

I also made "fast" no-knead whole wheat bread this weekend. It is NOT good-looking, but it tastes good and isn't dry and crumbly the way some (amateurish) whole wheat breads can be. If you make it, don't eliminate the rye flour--apparently the bread won't rise at all without it. As it was, this bread came out looking like a sad little brick, but it's totally grown on me since then. I'll probably try it again with a tablespoon of vital wheat gluten before I move on to this recipe. The Brit goes through a LOT of bread. It seems dumb not to be baking it.

Dressember
I have gotten through a week of all skirts/dresses, all the time, and I like it. Yeah, it's effing cold, but it's really nice to have a reason to pay more attention to my clothes. I should probably keep doing little low-key wardrobe projects like this because then I won't default to Urban Ninja Hippie, AKA Some Yoga Clothes Without the Yoga. Someone come up with another challenge for me to do after this month is over, otherwise I'll have to start lurking around on style blogs to find out what's up, and I'm already at max capacity for blog reading.

Shredd
I am also 30-Day Shredding this month, have I mentioned that? I thought it would be a good way to bridge the days between Thanksgiving and New Year's. So far, my favorite part of Level One is when she says "and you are well on your way to BEING shredded." Hilarious. But I like it. Nothing wrong with a 20 minute workout!

No comments:

Post a Comment