Monday, January 31, 2011

I keep baking stuff.

Such as Mexican Hot Chocolate Snickerdoodles and Citrus Glitters, which are both recipes from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar. You probably have all the ingredients to make both, and they'll be healthier than your usual cookie fare. I am especially enamored of the Citrus Glitters, which I am eating right now. I made a half recipe the other night and they are brilliant except for the fact that they go down super-easy. Here's the half-recipe, with my modifications.

1/4 c shortening, softened--you want the non-hydrogenated, no trans fat kind, such as Spectrum Organics
1/4 c sugar
3 T orange juice
1 T citrus zest--I used a whole lemon and half a lime
1/2 t vanilla
7/8 c whole wheat pastry flour (that's 3/4 c + 2 T)
1 T fine cornmeal
1 1/2 t cornstarch
1/4 t baking powder
a good pinch of salt
a few tablespoons of turbinado sugar

Preheat oven to 350. Set aside turbinado sugar on a plate. Cream together shortening and regular sugar, then mix in juice, zest, and vanilla. Add remaining ingredients and mix until you have a dough that will hold together. Roll into balls, press one side into turbinado sugar (flattening the dough a bit), and put on a non-stick or parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on the pan for a few minutes and then finish cooling on the rack. This recipe makes about 18 3-bite cookies.

I've been using whole wheat pastry flour for any baked goods lately and I love it. The original recipe calls for AP flour, so use that if you've got it and reduce your juice (reduce your juice!) by a tablespoon. The original recipe ALSO calls for almond milk as the liquid, but I thought the citrus vibe could always stand to be amped. Also, I had no almond milk. Also also, I usually don't like cakey cookies but for a non-crispy, non-chewy cookie, these have the perfect texture.

2 comments:

  1. I get a yummy vegan hot chocolate cookie at Fido in Nashville, but I think it has cayenne in it. I made these last weekend, and they are ridiculous.
    http://vegansweetie.blogspot.com/2008/02/late-night-baking-almond-cinnamon.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe I linked has a big old cayenne plop. They are noticeably spicy, which I like. They also go down easy, sigh. This is why I haven't baked much, historically.

    ReplyDelete