Thursday, January 13, 2011

This is rad (the song):



You can download the mp3 at The Burning Ear.

I spent much of my evening finishing off a cat bed, made out of some faux fur and fleece remnants scored cheap at the fabric store. It is stuffed with the Brit's old socks, which is sure to please him inordinately when he returns from sunny California. I'll take pictures of the bed in daylight--there is a cat curled up in it even now, so it looks like it wasn't a wasted project.

Look, just get used to the fact that I'm going to blog about cats a lot. When you go from having one (hilarious) old sedentary beastie to also having a young, full-of-beans slinkster that races up and down the stairs and carries small household objects around in her mouth, it suddenly seems like there are cats everywhere. And they are very good company. There's a large, beefy, satisfying one on me even now.

Other projects: I'm in the middle of making a basic shirt following a Burda pattern (Lydia, if you are interested). Making something from a pattern has been on my to-do list for ages. I definitely f-ed up the cutting out, probably because I didn't iron the fabric first (it's cheap garage sale sweatshirt fleece and this is a trial run), but I am determined to salvage the project anyway (and then not wear it). I'll finish this weekend, which is incidentally a 3-day one, which hallelujah.

I'm having a hard time at work lately, which is not something I like to go on about--like, at all--because to me it just reeks of privilege. I have a good job situation and lots of people do not, for one thing, and secondly I realize that even being able to contemplate such a thing as finding and following one's vocation (and making it pay) is a real luxury. Nevertheless, here I am, doing something that my heart just isn't in and it's taking a toll on my first world, highly-educated, middle class ass. I wonder if I would feel better or worse if I didn't have any idea of what I would like to be doing instead, but I know that I want to be teaching. I suppose the answer is to be more proactive about pursuing teaching opportunities, even if they aren't the ideal situations, with the ultimate goal of getting away from work that I don't care about.

But more about all that later. The big cat is licking my dinner dishes.

2 comments:

  1. totally rad song! thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, I feel you on the work thing. Tried not to complain for so long but the place sucks your soul :(

    ReplyDelete