Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Report from the interior.

Does anyone else still watch Bones? The last three episodes have been super-shitty, like they farmed the show out to an entirely new writing staff and dumbed it down (even more). The ep I just watched basically looked like setup for a really annoying spinoff. The question is, how many more shitty eps do I watch before I give up?

I feel like I need to report on the status of my 30 day vegan project, but in truth there's not much to report. It's been almost a sideways move for me since I was mostly eating vegan anyway. Where I notice it most is when I am trying to dine out, obviously. I've actually been appalled that in a city this size, most nicer restaurants (entrees in the $15 range) don't have a single vegan item on the menu, and many, many do not have anything vegetarian. It's bonkerzzzz and someday if I want to extend my activism (or reputation as a crank), I'll start agitating for vegan menu items when I go out.

So yeah, there's been some menu marginalization. Also, I cheated once when our awesome student worker got an award for being awesome, and we got her an ice cream cake from a shop that makes all their own ice cream. I had a sliver, and it was delicious, but then I had to holler at the toilet like immediately. Also, the cake left a bad taste in my mouth. Overall, it was a miscalculation.

For the Easter family festivities, I made two Veganomicon recipes I hadn't made before, both delicious salads. (If you make the bulgur/bean/mushroom/arugula salad, I suggest adding walnuts and chilling out on the dressing a little bit. The jicama/avocado/cress salad with spicy citrus vinaigrette was rad though.) I also sort of invented a dessert, a mango-coconut kanten pudding in a raw almond-coconut crust. I don't know how other people manage to make raw crust without just scarfing it down like a big freak before the rest of the dessert is made. It's like the best granola bar you ever ate.

I adapted the crust from a bunch of recipes:

2 c ground almonds
3/4 c shredded unsweetened coconut
2 T coconut oil
4 Medjool dates
1 t vanilla
1/2 t sea salt
a little cinnamon, a little ginger

Mush it up in a blender, then press into a pie/tart pan and freeze until ready to use.

Unsought bonus of this dessert: gluten-free, for my poor bro who is attempting to control eczema with a gluten-free diet.

Anyway, the diet hasn't really provoked any revelations or changed the way I feel overall. When this month is over I think I am basically just going to be a cheatin' vegan: pretty much vegan at home, with restaurant flexibility when necessary. It's been a good project and whaddaya know, it was an item on my ULTIMATE TO DO LIST that I can now cross off. It also has me thinking that 30 day projects are fun, and I should do another one starting May 1, and it's probably going to be some kind of move-yer-ass challenge. Sadly, I don't think it can be 30 days of biking, because today was going to be a bike shopping day and the weather was miserable, precluding test rides or even really putting on proper clothing and leaving the house. Instead, I used a borrowed sewing machine (my sister's) to do some alterations that had been piling up, and I gave the cats a lot of love.

3 comments:

  1. I stopped watching Bones after that season-ending fantasy nightclub/book thingie episode because I just couldn't take it. It's almost hard to believe it's gotten worse. Almost.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you been to this website?

    http://xgfx.org/ Vegan, gluten free.

    Brasa has a vegetarian menu with vegan items listed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right on Brasa! I assumed that joint would be so meaty that I never even looked into it. Thanks for the xgfx site too.

    ReplyDelete