Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tramps like us.

You can add me to the list of people who finished Born to Run and got all inspired like "I AM born to run" and immediately went outside for a jog. It was the first workout of C25K week 4 and it felt great. It helps that the weather is lovely and the sunset was beautiful and the lake was still and the frogs and red-winged blackbirds were singing.

I know I'm late to the party on the book and had already gotten on board with the barefoot/minimal shoe thing (running or not, mostly not), but it is worth reading. It feels like a good magazine journalist wrote a book, which is what happened. But the voice is pretty dang entertaining (if occasionally folksy) and the detours from the main story are mighty interesting.

***

On Sunday, my nephews and niece all sang in a choral evensong thing, which was really cute, and we gathered afterward for dinner. For some reason the kids are super into charades right now, which is hilarious. As Em's boyfriend noted, you just have to pay attention to what the boys are talking about 2 hours before a charades session, and you'll be able to guess every one of their charades. At one point, Molly mockingly asked "is there a reason we're all sitting here doing this? is the television broken? This is very Amish of us." But with electricity. Willa also got in on the action for the first time, first with help from her dad and later by herself. The by herself versions were basically just her gesticulating and us free-associating in the manner of Baby Fishmouth until someone said something she liked, and then she'd say "Yes!!!"

Also there is video of Willa extemporizing a teenpop-style song for several minutes, sometimes with her parents in the style of Garth and Kat, but I haven't seen it yet and don't know if it will appear on the internet. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

  1. I'm *just* about to start that book. Ben LOVED it even when he thought he wouldn't be into it. Glad to hear it is inspiring. I need a bit of that if I am going to actually reach any of my (at the moment extremely tentative) running goals this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for charades and extemporaneous pop songs! You have such a joyous family, and I love hearing about it. Xo

    ReplyDelete