Thursday, July 28, 2011

Zoooom.

Can you all just come here and go on a long bike ride with me? Would the exhilaration even be the same if shared? I don't know, but I do know that this was an amazing evening for a bike ride. I met Dr. Dra, my dearie and old roommate, for dinner after work and then had a zippy, luscious, fragrant 8 mile ride home at sunset. What's happening outside, anyway? The temperature is perfect and it smells amazing. Woodsmoke, pine needles, a farmy fecund smell that's probably the combination of grass clippings and too much standing water, flowers. I was huffing it like crazy, and I snorked up a few gnats in the process, which was a small price to pay. It was nicely breezy when we were sitting outside at Republic, but heading south and west there was no wind to fight. And I saw a mink humping along by the creek--I've never seen one around here before. I know they're nasty little fuckers but it was so sleek and alert and cute that it just felt like a bonus of the ride to spot it.

This blog is turning into a love letter to the Minneapolis bike trail system, but I don't care. I'm already dreading the end of bike season, and my Steger mukluks came in the mail yesterday as if to remind me that nothing lasts forever, least of all summer, so I better keep pedaling.

3 comments:

  1. Robert and I went on a sunset ride last night too. I love the smell of summer; dry grass, hot dirt, flowers.

    Also I've never heard of that restaurant! It sounds bomb. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish wish wish we could have a bike ride together.Sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! Would love to go on that ride.

    ReplyDelete