Tuesday, October 11, 2011

From the drafts folder.

1. Ace is fine. His bloodwork and urinalysis came back perfectly clean; is apparently a "very normal cat" (with some tartar and gingivitis and this obsession with licking his belly fur off). So what was up with him? We may never know. The vet did say a weird thing about cats, which is that frequently their owners sense something is going on, bring them in, find out there's nothing wrong, and then within a few weeks the cats have declined and their bloodwork is all haywire. So I'll just keep watching him, I guess.

2. The weather here has been bonkers. Today was 75 degrees or so, and just balmy as you please, but with crunchy leaves and beautiful colors all over the place. Last week it was in the 80s. The cats, speaking of cats because I am a cat lady, have been galvanized by all the smells and noises, and I've been letting them run/slink/roll around in the backyard. First I let them out supervised, then I let them out and just checked on them, and then I let Momo out unsupervised, which ended with her standing on top of the fence near the garage roof, wondering what to do next. I guess I have to keep an eye on her. All Ace wants to do is roll and dig in the dirt, and attack a willow branch that I wave at him. Momo is also into the branch.

IMAG0412

I like giving them the exercise/mindblowing world expansion of the backyard, but the problem is that now they won't shut up about it.

IMAG0419

3. I didn't meet my self-imposed thesis deadline but things are coming along. I have done just about everything in my power to avoid working on it in the last week, but then I have also worked on it. What's crappy is that my best working hours are generally from like 9:30 PM on, and I can't fuck around with staying up all night to write, so the evening worktime is practically over before it gets started, siiiigh. And just so you know, putting musical examples into a paper is the worst. THE WORSSSSST.

4. I've been looking at wearethe99percent.tumblr.com and I encourage you to do the same, but I have to admit that it makes me feel panicky and I am in a good situation over here. But after going through several pages the only thoughts in my head are "I can never, ever quit my job" and "I can never, ever be without health insurance."

5. I ran 6 miles last week after pretty much giving up on running when bike season started in earnest. It's hard to think about doing other exercise when you bike 15 miles most days. Happily, the running was not horrifying. I managed it and it felt pretty good. Just in time for the weather to turn shitty and for me to curl up on the couch and stop moving my ass. November is going to be Move Yer Ass part 2, trust.

6. I have made socca many more times using a variety of recipes, all of which are readily googleable. Basically I whisk 1 part chickpea flour with like 1.5 parts water, a glug of olive oil, and some salt to make a thin batter. Let it sit for an hour or two at room temp, then add herbs/spices to taste and fry it up in a pan like crepes or pancakes (depending on how thin it turns out). Then gobble right out of the pan like a big freak. Or put it on a plate; it's really your call. I've found that letting the batter sit really mitigates the beany flavor that these can have. Half hour=a little beany. Hour=hardly beany at all.

I have also baked it at 400 for about 25 minutes in a VERY nonstick round 9 inch cake pan and then finished it under the broiler for about 2 minutes more. In fact, I am eating that now with a chunky red sauce (eggplant, spinach, kalamata olives) and it's delicious. A little bit like polenta, but with crispy bits. And more protein and fiber! I think I'll bake it longer next time and see what happens. Also, next time I might make it with cocoa powder and a little agave. I'm just saying.

7. I have a cold. A cold that was not helped by the surprise downpour I biked home in yesterday.

8. I reaaaaalllly want to do an Etsy faves post right now but that would be the biggest work derail ever. Here is just one thing for your delectation:


The very fierce Mona jacket from lauragalic. For when it's finally cool enough to wear a coat.

9. Oh, one more thing. I've been loving Fit and Feminist. Very thoughtful, excellent writing about a variety of topics relating to health, wellness, and exercise. The posts are all great, but here's a great place to start. There's also an excellent counterpoint comment on that post that is worth reading too.

Okay byeeeee! Back to work.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the shout-out! I agree, that counterpoint comment was excellent and gave me a LOT to think about. Hooray for civilized discourse!

    ReplyDelete