Sunday, November 06, 2011

Food makin'.

Well, it already feels like the middle of the night over here, since it's pitch black. But that's the price we pay for looking up at the clock after a super-productive morning and going WHOA it isn't even 11 yet! I've spent a lot of today cooking, so as to get a jump on the week, and I thought you probably would want to know what I made.
  1. Vegan pumpkin pudding. I am so excited about this that I want to roll around in it. I had started off intending to make these pumpkin cranberry ginger parfaits, minus the raw pumpkin (none on hand, also sounds not very appealing). But I quickly realized I would rather just mix it all together and mess around with the recipe a bit. You need to make the ginger cashew cream in the link immediately, but with less sweetener and a little less coconut oil. You will not be able to stop eating it. My pudding is just a mixture of the cashew cream and a whole wack of canned pumpkin and a bunch of spices. There's only a tablespoon of agave in my entire non-recipe. Tomorrow, I will sprinkle pecans and dried cranberries over the top and die of happiness when I eat it.
  2. Breakfast bulgur. Usually I do quinoa but I was all out, and this needs to get used up. It turned out rather delicious. I spiced it with cardamom and ginger, and I cooked it in mostly water with some apple juice--it won't need more sweetener. Top with apples, walnuts, cinnamon, and yogurt if that is your thing.
  3. Steamed romanesco with lemon. No big secret here, except that romanesco looks like alien babies and that is the sole reason I bought it.
  4. Roasted rosemary garlic potatoes and rutabaga.
  5. Cannellini beans to make today's soup and keep in the freezer.
  6. Cannellini soup with greens. I chopped/sauteed two leeks, a small onion, two carrots, two celery stalks, the leaves from the romanesco, lots of kale and collard stems, and a mutant huge clove of garlic in a bunch of olive oil with oregano. Then added veggie stock, bean broth, and about 2-3 cups of cannellini beans, along with chopped collard and kale leaves (about one bunch total). Simmered for 15 minutes, stirred in chopped spinach and a little sambal oelek and salt to taste, and ate it up with lots of black pepper. Boom.
I spent some of Saturday at the thrift stores and came away with an excellent haul from Goodwill. A black silk cap sleeve DKNY top encrusted with matte black paillettes that make an awesome sound as they move, a Desigual-esque knit skirt that is going directly into my summer clothes bin (alas) and will be a great surprise when the warm weather returns, a totally polyester bright teal knee-length vintage skirt that is going to nestle perfectly into my wardrobe, a pinstripe vest for my non-steampunk steampunk look, a gray and black striped turtleneck dress, and a Prairie Underground Mothette dress for Tricia's Superhero wardrobe. Please keep your fingers crossed that it fits her because it was a HUGE score and I am generally too lazy to sell things on ebay these days. Case in point: I found some beautiful, way too high Fluevog Audrey pumps at Goodwill months ago and they are still sitting in my car, waiting to be photographed and sold for a sweet profit. I used to have endless time for that stuff. Not anymore. 

I do have time to paint my nails, though, so I'm going to go do that now. 

4 comments:

  1. Hahaha, alien babies. Indeed.

    I'm doing breakfast coconut brown rice this AM, and it is delightful. I could go for a pumpkin pudding chaser though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a fantasy about finding a Prairie Underground hoodie at the thrift store. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I forgot to mention that I also found a knit silk/cashmere maxi skirt for $3 (wearing now, so cozy) and some black knit palazzo pants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going near bulgur until it gets a name change.

    PLEASE post a photo of this silk/cashmere maxi skirt. Oh my gosh, what more do you need?

    ReplyDelete