Sunday, November 27, 2011

Happy Thankskitten!

So, Willa turned 4 a couple days ago, and she got a kitten for her birthday.

IMAG0639

He was called Bruce (which I love; it's like naming a tiny kitten Gary or Keith) when he arrived in her hands yesterday, but I'm not sure what his name is now. Last night it was Snowflake, and later in the evening it was apparently Tiger. My mom was pulling for Opie, which I think is perfect. But Willa is in charge. The little cat seems well-suited to life with a lot of kids around. I just hope he can get enough naps in. Anyway, he's the cutest ever. I want to put him in my pocket. (Willa is pretty cute too.)

Today has been one hell of a lazy day. I made some pretty bad muffins this morning and some soup this evening, and that's about all I've done. I have loved this long weekend, haven't you, US readers? So nice. I am not looking forward to returning to work tomorrow, though I do get to get my ass out of the house early and meet Melinda for breakfast. You have no idea how happy that makes me and it will go by too quickly, and then I will still have to go to work afterward. (Grateful I have a job, etc etc.)

I had another audition yesterday, which was pretty great for me and enthusiastically received by the wee panel of listeners. It will mean some concert work in the new year. I was also jazzed about my outfit, after all that outfit talk in the last post: I wore some wide, drape-y black velvet pants that I must have thrifted years ago and sort of forgot about, a teal camisole, and a soft fitted black wrap sweater sprinkled with silvery sequins. I looked fly and basically felt like I was wearing yoga clothes, which is the best possible state of affairs.

Earlier in the week I did have a callback audition and that went well too. It was for a dippy show, but what are you gonna do? The roles available for my voice type in light opera/operetta are pretty ridiculous--I can be people's mums and grannies and aunties (and occasionally a young man) and that's basically it. No gorgeous leading ladies for me. Still, it would be fun to get cast in something silly and just go balls out with the character and hopefully work with a bunch of my friends again.

I capped off all this serious singing with some more serious singing at karaoke last night. You know you're getting old and boring when the idea of going out at 10 seems coconuts, but I took a disco nap after Willa's birthday celebration and I rallied. And I'm so glad I did--it was a fun singing crowd. You're basically guaranteed to have a good night if two people are singing "Islands in the Stream" when you walk in. It felt like a classics/crowd pleasers kind of night, so I sang "We Are Family" with my friends, then "Son of a Preacher Man." Next round was "Let's Give Them Something to Talk About," then Leah sprang "Alone" on me (which I frankly love to sing, especially when she is providing harmony). Finally, my one and only new song of the night was "Harden My Heart" by Quarterflash, which song I have referred to multiple times on this blog, if I am not mistaken. I think I even have a #quarterflash tag, so I'll go ahead and deploy that on this post. It was super fun to sing, so if you've been on the fence about this song, I say go for it. Bonus: air saxophone opportunities. It had really been too long.

For the past couple weeks, I've been barfing out a bunch of words every day (kinda on the Artist's Way model) using the website 750words.com. It's completely private and not intended for anyone else's consumption or even your own judgment, which is useful. I haven't looked back at anything I've written and I don't have plans to. If you're looking for this kind of daily practice, it's a great little site because it tracks your words and sends you a daily email (if you like) prompting you to write. I'm guessing it's the reason I've forgotten to blog for two weeks. Sorry about that. On the other hand, maybe you were spared the truly garbagey because of my newfound discipline. So, you're welcome.

3 comments:

  1. Breakfast with Melinda whuuuuuut?! Jealous to the max.

    That kitten/kid combo is almost more cute than I can handle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We want to dine vicariously with you guys...photos, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to see more kitten pictures in future. I'm hoping Willa comes up with a fabulous wardrobe for him.

    You audition outfit sounds divine, and not in a John Waters way.

    Have I asked you this before -- have you been to karaoke at the U Otter Stop Inn? I was there once a couple of years ago, and witnessed some truly magnificent singing/dancing performances. Highly recommend. You know, based on that one visit. Caveat emptor, etc.

    ReplyDelete