Monday, February 13, 2012

Eat it.

Here is a terrible picture of my primary 10 minute meal lately:

What I eat the most.

It is perfect and fast and, for me, uses stuff I always have on hand. Here's what you need to make one big serving:

Miso paste
Tahini (peanut butter works too)
Sri racha or sambal oelek or chili paste of choice
2 cups near-boiling water
Sweet potato, diced into like 3/4 inch cubes (half a large potato or a whole small one)
A small head of broccoli, or half or a third of a larger head, chopped into florets. Also, peel and slice the stalk unless it's dry and tough and hopeless. If there are leaves on your brocc chop those up too.
Any other bits you like: a chopped scallion, some chopped cilantro, a handful of cooked chickpeas (see above), sesame seeds (those are the black insect-looking things up there in my soup), chopped romaine, sliced jalapeno (maybe omit the chili paste then), finely chopped kale, a squeeze of lime, etc, etc.

To make this version, put the sweet potatoes and broccoli in a microwave-safe dish with a couple tablespoons of water, cover, and zap for 2-3 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are tender. You could also use a steamer on the stovetop, of course.

Heat your water til it's nearly boiling. In a little bowl or mug, dissolve about 1.5 tablespoons of miso paste and a tablespoon of tahini in some of the water. I just mash it around with a fork til it's incorporated. Stir in a plop of chili paste. Pour this over your steamed veg, and top up with more hot water. I usually end up using about 1.5-2 cups of water, but you'll want to taste as you go to make sure it's salty enough for you.

Top with any of the raw stuff you want to add (I love it with romaine) and mix it all up and eat with a fork AND a spoon. Fast, satisfying, nutritious AND delicious.

1 comment:

  1. This post inspired me to copy your meal. I've been adding "House Tofu Shirataki Noodles" which I learned about on Hungry Girl.com, veg and also kim chee. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete