Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Pro-Choice Bowling!

Hey y'all, this is just a little drive-by to remind you that I'm doing the Pro-Choice Resources annual Bowl-a-Thon again this year. We bowl tomorrow, and I'll be knocking down pins the way PCR knocks down barriers to sexuality information and reproductive health care access.

In case you haven't been with me for years or just don't know what I'm talking about, PCR is a local grassroots organization that works to ensure that all people and communities have the power and resources to make sexual and reproductive health decisions with self-determination and dignity. What does that involve? It involves education, outreach, advocacy, and financial assistance. It means teaching teachers to talk about gender, healthy relationships, birth control methods, and all pregnancy options so that youth and adults can control their sexual health. It means maintaining an abortion assistance fund so that low-income women can afford an abortion. It means offering a secular after-abortion support group for those who need one. It means reaching out to historically underserved communities to address disparities in healthcare information and access.

I think all of this is righteous, obviously. That's why I raise money for PCR every year. Also, you may have noticed that the political climate has become extremely hostile to reproductive rights (and, uh, basic issues like birth control). 2012 is going to be another awful year for anti-choice state legislation, and our "pro-choice" president hasn't made a public statement about it--not even during Women's History Month. So now's really the time to give what you can to organizations who are working to make reproductive choice a reality for all women.

Every donation in any amount is welcome and important, and I'm for real. We usually raise about 10% of the organization's operating budget with this event, which is amazing.

My donation page is here: http://bowlathon.prochoiceresources.org/pcrsweet/participantpage.asp?fundid=156&uid=542&role=1

I really appreciate you taking the time to read and consider this. I'm pro-choice, and that's how I roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment