Friday, November 29, 2013

A list.

Oh hey I didn't post for a week, sorry. Is this thing on? New since last time:

1. Purple hair (a different shade of purple): http://instagram.com/p/hSFli1Kd3X/

2. Thanks was (were) given! Did you have a good time yesterday, US-ians? We did a very early meal because my parents busted Grandpa out of the nursing home for the holiday and we needed to dine on old-folks' time. It was nice, but I think I should start contributing pie because it's the only way I can ensure that I have pie for breakfast the following day. Instead I made a kale salad, as I often do (Molly was not there to make fun of me for this), and invented a grain salad of barley, black eyed peas, braised brussels sprouts, roasted carrots, and dijon mustard vinaigrette. Thanksgiving is also my vegetarianniversary, so huzzah, I've been meat-free for 18 years now!

3. I intended to engage in no commerce today, except horrors, I am out of contact lens solution. I don't know how I let this happen, but it does mean I'm going to have to face the hordes at some point, like probably around 10 PM. Ugh.

4. I took a print to be professionally framed--a first for me. It's this one, by this guy:


I hope I made the right decision about matting and framing and I also wish I had a lot of money to spend on this kind of stuff so I could go somewhere proper instead of a craft store. Even more than that, I wish I knew how to frame stuff myself: it's something I would really like to learn to do, and I think I would be good at.

Anyway, this has been on my to-do list for a few months, so I get to cross it off, which is always good.

5. I had an interesting encounter with a new age-y young woman at the gas station this week. A whole series of boring little events arranged things so that we would be there at the same time, I have to admit--had all these boring little things not happened, I would have been there and gone before she even showed up, so make of that what you will. But I was putting air in my tires when she wandered over and said hi and told me she just had a feeling she was supposed to talk to me. This in itself is interesting because if I have a sign on my forehead it generally says "don't talk to me." And for whatever reason, I was up for some extended interaction with a stranger, and she didn't seem to be going anywhere, so I chatted with her. It probably helped that she appeared to be a non-threatening young woman. If it had been a dude, he would have had to be radiating an unreal amount of goodwill and benign sexual magnetism for me to talk to him.

Anyway, she told me that that particular gas station is at the intersection of some energy lines, and that she knew when she woke up this morning that she was supposed to go there. "Weird!" I exclaimed. "Have you been here before?" She hadn't, but friends had: "I just know that this is a place of freely giving and openly receiving." ("Well that just sounds like a sex thing," Emily said when I told her about it later.) There was a lot of stuff about vibrations and "what people would probably call magic," but we also had a deep little exchange about the fact that I teach singing, which is all about vibrations, and helping people be their authentic selves, which is frankly more interesting to me than music. I do feel like teaching voice just happens to be my medium, you know, and personal growth for the student is the actual objective.

I now have this stranger's phone number in my cell phone--she wanted me to drop by sometime and work with a friend of hers, who helps people be their more authentic selves too ("How," I wanted to know. "Well, mostly by Sight," she said, clearly capitalizing the word)--and I probably won't use it, but the whole thing was unusual enough for me that I felt like I should probably have a way to get in touch with her. Maybe she was just a very pleasant cult member, though.

6. I decided to do an audition next weekend, even though I'm totally out of shape right now. I'll keep you posted.

6 comments:

  1. I'm amazed that you were open to this. I would've been too, I think, but I'd bet we're in the minority among our lady friends. When people are nice to me in parking lots, I always assume they're about to rob me.

    Your hair looks rad. WHY IS FRAMING SO EXPENSIVE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No seriously, why is it so expensive? I feel like an asshole complaining about paying someone to do a trade, but it does feel a little nuts to me that there are so few options that are not completely cost-prohibitive.

      Delete
  2. Fuck, have I not read your blog in four months? The evidence before me suggests that is the case. GOOGLE READER COME BACK TO MEEEEEEEE. Well, anyway, I just binge-read everything you wrote since August (!), and my overwhelming feeling is that I wish we could beam ourselves to the same bar to discuss TV shows, grandparents, "problems," Sephora products, fitness, jobs, life plans, not dating, etc. over some beers. xo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AGREED, COME TO MPLS (maybe not right now, though, it's fucking cold). I would like to get to NYC in 2014. Been too long.

      Delete
    2. One of my direct reports lives in MPLS, and I have various other work-related contacts there (Stacey et al.), so I've been mulling over a 2014 combo work-fun trip. I'll let you know. Either way, I know a couch in Brooklyn Heights that has your name on it, if you can push the cats off.

      Delete